Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Kids

A place for Moms, Dads, and Parents-to-be.

by Jcs98910 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:11 am

I am now 38 years old and I was diagnosed with Bipolar I at 15. Through my writing I have solace during my darkest times and I have molded my reality to agree with me. But now I am the father of two beautiful girls and they have given me a reason to keep it together above myself. I am at the end of one of the worst episodes I have ever had, I have kept it together for three weeks on a new job, but last night I snapped at my oldest three year old daughter. My wife and I talked and I explained that I have no one to talk to because my family is alert to my mood. I do not want to internalize everything and then one day explode on those I love. This time even old trusted books made it worse and my writing angered me. How do you live with Bipolar around young children?
Jcs98910

by Spm24 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:54 pm

Jcs98910,

Welcome to the forum.

As to knowing how to deal with BP and kids I have no helpful things to tell you since I am child less. There are members who post who are parents so soon one might come along. But I do know that we will help you in anyway we can. If you just need a different perspective then your used to we are here for you.

Feel free to post when and what you feel like posting...
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by Lovehope » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:25 pm

It is so hard. My stepson is 8 and lives with is full time. His mother lives across the state's and is neglectful so she cannot have him. We are the only positive adult figures he's ever had. Huge pressure. I love him like he is my own and I would do anything for him. He is my reason for taking care of myself.

I set the best example I can. When I can I practice my self care.. exercise.. eating healthy
. Meditation.. yoga.. writing. When I am not well I have explained to him that my brain is sick and the doctors are trying to help me get better. He seems to understand to a point. I was so scared of setting a ad example for him but what I have found is that he has picked up my good habits. He journals, he wakes me up to meditate with him in the morning, he practices yoga with me. He loves to see the unique things I do and he wants to do those things too.

Try your best and when your children are older explain it to them. I believe mental health should be an open conversation in a household
Lovehope

by hal » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:40 pm

Hi jcs, and welcome to our group. I hope you'll find it helpful. We understand and are completely non-judgmental.

I have two grownup daughters who say my BP1 has not harmed them. I think kids can be very resilient. The fact you even ask the question makes me think it might not be a big problem with your two children.
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

by Duckysmom » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:41 pm

My daughter was 10 when I was dxd and I told her what was wrong with me.

She had seen my swings - depression, mania, hypomania - from early on. Including my rages.

I'm BP1. I was also dxd PTSD, GAD and with social anxiety. During my good days she was a happy girl. During my bad, she was nearly frightened out of her socks.

If I had known then what I know now, I would have fought harder for a proper dx. I spent years misdiagnosed and given all the wrong meds.

You are already one step ahead in that you are dxd and working toward stability. As your children get older, you will find ways to explain what is going on with you at their level of understanding. Strive to be the best parent you can be, apologize when you feel it necessary and let them know they are loved. Focus on your mental health and do all you can to be as stable as possible.

Children are resilient. "I'm sorry I snapped at you," wouldn't hurt, though.
"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

by Jcs98910 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:10 am

Thank you everyone! I will use this forum as a place to divulge my mind with confidence. I protect the world from my thoughts always, not because of anything but I feel they would not understand. I shed tears as I was reading your responses ; they were tears of happiness. My writing falls on deaf ears because I do not let people reading it know.

“You got to go there , to know there” Zora Neale Hurston
Jcs98910

by Pancake » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:08 am

Jcs, do you see a therapist?

It's something we really advocate for, I found its been really helpful in learning to recognise what's going on in my mind and deal with it, rather than let something bubble away that I didn't even know was there...
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by Jcs98910 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:44 pm

I see a really good psychiatrist who spends time with me, a therapist is not in the budget because my costs for mental health are out of pocket. I have seen a therapist in the past and it was definitely beneficial but as we all know insurance does not acknowledge mental illness in the same way they do physical ailments.
Jcs98910

Return to Bipolar Parents