Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Punch to the gut

A place for Moms, Dads, and Parents-to-be.

by Lulu25 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:53 am

My daughter recently turned 5 and she is extremely intelligent. She has severe asthma and takes one inhaler every morning and night. Loratadine in the afternoon. Bedtime is Qvar inhaler, Montelukast, and Flonase. We have this routine and it has done wonders for her quality of life. She doesn't cough 24/7. She can play and run without struggling to breathe. Its been amazing!! She has been so much happier. Well she notices that I take medication every day. But she is so smart she has noticed why. She doesn't fully understand why but she has caught on to the fact that I take them. I've been really down and she has caught me crying and is aware of my emotions. She came up to me and said "momma don't forget to take your medicine so you can feel better". It shocked me and was a big punch to my gut. I don't want her to worry about me taking my meds. I don't want her to feel like she needs to have that kind of responsibility at all. I just want her to enjoy her childhood and not have that stress put on her. It made me sad that she notices that about me.
She is a soldier in the war against herself...
Lulu25

by Spm24 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:03 am

Yes you can look at it that way but you could also look at it as she loves and needs you. I can see that at five years old is quite young. But many of them can understand and comprehend more then we expect them to.

Dealing with her own illness has made her capable of seeing illnesses in others.

Don't worry to much love her and accept her love... :P
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by hal » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:06 am

This is a sad story but also kind of hopeful.What a marvelous impulse! It's natural, but unusual; you can be very proud of her. It's strange to think of a five-year-old being concerned, looking after, taking care of her mom. But it's not bad; it can even be seen as joyful. Grown children take care of their parents when they are aged, by necessity; here it's freely given by a child. You are a very lucky, a blessed person. :)
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

by Lulu25 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:21 am

She is so sweet and loving. I'm proud of her for reaching out and wanting to help me. It was just such a shock when she said it. It really caught me off guard. I am very blessed to have her. She saved me from myself really. Having her has given me the strength to conquer this. She inspires me every single day to keep going, even on the hard days. I know she doesn't fully understand but one day she will and I will be open about it. At 5 years old I was just not prepared for her to notice it yet. She is very in tune with me emotionally though.
She is a soldier in the war against herself...
Lulu25

by Duckysmom » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am

I have to agree that she is a blessing. Kids are empathic/sympathetic when allowed to be or taught to be. I'm sure she justed wanted to as helpful to you as you are for her.

My grandson caught my daughter crying (she's going through some tough times and trying to keep it from him) and climbed on her lap and wiped her face and hugged her and asked her what he could do to help her feel better. Through her tears, she told him he just did. She wipes his tears, hugs him, asks how she can help him when he cries. He was just returning the love she gives him. He's 4.

Oh, wait. I'm not allowed to say he's 4. He's 4 and a half. Just don't tell him I said 4. :lol:
"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

by Mocha » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:23 pm

Lu, that was a great story......I sure you were surprised, but kids don't miss a thing.... :)

I think it was great that she was able to feel and express that much emphathy in a very practical way no less..... :)

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by AvantGarde » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:44 pm

That's wonderful, Lu. :)
Genetically evolved chicken at your service &
Shawn's part-time mind disrupter

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Zaza » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:42 am

Lu you have an angel ryt there.
Zaza