Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Mom with BPD2 and 14 year old with ADHD trying to get along

A place for Moms, Dads, and Parents-to-be.

by BPD1977 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:58 pm

I am looking for so insight to the stressful situation I have been going on at home. I, myself, was diagnosed with bipolar in April 2015. It has been a HUGE life change for me. I noticed I go through these times where my noise sensitivity is nearly debilitating. But on top of that is caring for my 14 son who ADHD. We argue a lot and it breaks my heart. Any of you have any advice or tips ? I'm so lost
BPD1977

by Jemane » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:07 pm

That's so tough. Have you got help for your son? Is he on medication or in therapy?
Are you in therapy and are you on medication?
I've had friends whose kids have ADHD and they have really benefitted from a good paediatrician (children's doctor).
In terms of yourself, getting stable on meds and having a good tdoc (therapist) is really important.
Have you got much other support (ie partner or other family members?).
I do feel for you, such a difficult situation to be in.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Jemane

by Duckysmom » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:58 am

I am BP1 and my daughter is ADHD. It's a tough situation. At his age, he would be arguing with you anyway. It's what teens are good at. I was in therapy and put her in it for a while, but she hated it and refused to continue. Not saying it wouldn't help your son. Just my experience. But it helped me deal with her better.
"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

by AvantGarde » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:08 am

Welcome :)

I agree with Ducky, he would be arguing with you with the ADHD or without. Therapy is a good choice, but I think we can't really force that. My mother tried that with me and it was fruitless, only when I was ready to do it it really payed off and it was 10 years later.

Teens will be teens, hormones and all of that. Do meds help at all?
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes
AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Pancake » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:20 am

Teenagers are tricky. Bipolar parenting is tricky. Don't try to live up to everything social media tells you, even normal people can't do all that.

Like the others have asked, meds, therapy? Therapy can help not just with coping mechanisms for yourself, but ways to help you deal with your son too. I hope you have some good supports.
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by Spm24 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:37 am

BPD1977,

Welcome to the forum..

As others have said therapy, meds and a pdoc are a necessity to being stable. Therapy for both of you might be very helpful to the two of you. Teenage years for children can be difficult on its own...
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by Tigger » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:13 am

What do you find yourselves arguing about? Are there triggers for both of you?
_______

Mom to 12 year old boy with bipolar

Meds: 300mg Lamictal; 300mg Lithium; 10mg Abilify; .50mg Risperdal
Tigger

Return to Bipolar Parents