Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Good news about my son

A place for Moms, Dads, and Parents-to-be.

by Tigger » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:52 am

A little over a week ago we dropped off our son at sleep away camp. He went there two years ago before his dx but wasn't able to go last year because he was still fairly symptomatic. But he really wanted to go this year, and the rapid cycling--although still there--seems less intense and he's more able to pull through it. We fully expected him to last about 4 days. Max. But 10 days later, he's still there!

The camp director and nurse were fully versed in his disorder and were okay with him coming. They let us know early on when he had a depressive episode (which resolved quickly) and have said that he's been doing great since then. I'm sure he's cycled through depression and some hypomania, but it probably looks normal enough to everyone else that they haven't really noticed. And the important thing is that he's been able to power through it. AND he hasn't had a mixed-state episode. :)

We're so happy for him and our family. I know that in the fall/winter, things may get bad again. But for him to have days and weeks where he feels relatively okay is just priceless.
_______

Mom to 12 year old boy with bipolar
Tigger

by Duckysmom » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:17 am

Awesome news! He should feel really proud of himself for being brave enough to go and stick it out! I hoe he's having a great time!
"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

by Spm24 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:58 am

Always good news when your soon has stable days and he can enjoy himself. Take all the good you can get :P . Hopefully it lasts for awhile
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by Mocha » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:41 pm

tigger, that's just awesome....... :)
Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by hal » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:31 pm

What good news, and you are to be congratulated. Sometimes I wonder if the parents of a bipolar child have it worse than us adults, and I'm sure it's true at least some of the time.
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

by AvantGarde » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:13 pm

Wonderful :D
Genetically evolved chicken at your service &
Shawn's part-time mind disrupter

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by libellula » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:37 am

Really happy for your son and for your family!
libellula

by Tigger » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:53 pm

:D

We got a letter from him yesterday. He said he's felt a little homesick but basically fine! Amazing.

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I'm sure you can all appreciate how feeling good for even a little while must be such a huge relief for him.

He comes home on Saturday! Hopefully he'll continue to feel good :)
_______

Mom to 12 year old boy with bipolar
Tigger

Return to Bipolar Parents