Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Need good psychiatrist in Atlanta Area

A place for Moms, Dads, and Parents-to-be.

by pattyb » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:36 am

pattyb

by RonS » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:40 am

pattyb

My best result so far has been working with my tdoc. She knows the reputation of most of the pdocs here in Memphis. It took a few tries to find one that was accepting new patients.

Ron
RonS

by pattyb » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:45 am

pattyb

by Mocha » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:47 am

pattyb wrote::roll: My daughter is now on Lamictal, Wellbutrin, Lithium, Paxil and Clonipin. This is all being prescribed by her family primary care doctor. I need help finding a psychiatrist for her. We live in East Metro Atlanta. The psychiatrist the family doctor recommended has terrible reviews. It is almost impossible to schedule an appt with him. You have to leave a message and the ofc calls back at the most strange times. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi again, pattyb,
How old is your daughter?

Does she have a therapist (tdoc)? Like Ron said, tdocs are usually the best way to get referrals to psychiatrists (pdocs).

I'm going to send you a pm re: this. Just give me a little time to get some things together, ok?

Oh yeah......I deleted the pdoc's name you mentioned. We try to never mention RL pdocs/tdoc's names on the open board. As the staff and I always say.....privacy issues and all. You didn't do anything wrong, no problem. You didn't know...... :)
Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by Mocha » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:49 pm

patty, check your inbox........ :)

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by Lulu25 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:31 pm

This is only a personal experience so I'm not sure how anyone else feels about it. When I was first diagnosed my pcp prescribed me medication as well. IMO it was an awful experience and it scared me and made me fear being on meds. It is one of the major reasonswhy I stopped all treatment. They gave me Lithium and Abilify. I was not being monitored on the lithium at all. My doses didn't change they just gave me some meds and I felt confused, misinformed, and like I was written a prescription and tossed to the curb. I believe very firmly that a pdoc should be the only person prescribing what and how much of any med. I feel much more informed and cared for this time around. Lesson learned!

But as I stated, these are my personal feelings as a patient.
She is a soldier in the war against herself...
Lulu25

by Mocha » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:43 pm

Now that Lulu brought it up, I agree that only a pdoc should be Rx'ing psych meds.....and your daughter is on a boatload of meds.

Is her GP monitoring her Lithium levels?

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by Tigger » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:17 pm

Patty I wish you luck finding a good pdoc. How old is your daughter?
_______

Mom to 12 year old boy with bipolar

Meds: 300mg Lamictal; 300mg Lithium; 10mg Abilify; .50mg Risperdal
Tigger

by pattyb » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:58 pm

pattyb

by Pancake » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:01 pm

Hi again patti.

Have you thought about seeking counseling yourself, particularly with regard to setting boundaries with your daughter?
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by pattyb » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:34 am

I have definitely considered going to counseling. Do you suggest that I find a different counselor than she
Is seeing?
pattyb

by pattyb » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:22 am

pattyb

by Mocha » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:31 pm

pattyb wrote:I have definitely considered going to counseling. Do you suggest that I find a different counselor than she
Is seeing?

Patty, yes of course, you will need to see a different tdoc. You need to see someone just for you. Plus you daughter would never trust someone you were seeing, yanno? Just the way it is. And most therapists/pdocs don't treat members of the same family. Kind of a conflict of interest type thing.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by pattyb » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:45 pm

Mocha. Thanks for that info. She has an appt with someone for tomorrow afternoon. I pray that this is the beginning of something good. Looks like this is going to be fairly expensive too.
pattyb

by Mocha » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:59 am

good to hear she has an appt. About the expense. Will you medical ins cover any of this?

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by pattyb » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:44 am

I'm contacting BC/BS to see what will be covered. I am praying this is the start of something good.
pattyb

by pattyb » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:04 am

pattyb

by Mocha » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:51 pm

pattyb wrote:Does anyone haveve experience as being the parent of a bipolar young adult. I need to get suggestions on how to deal with getting her up and out of bed, being helpful around the house, keeping her fro stealing my things, and mostly loving her through this. She can turn on me in a flash if I try to get her to be motivated or point out how long she has been laying in bed. I really want to talk to someone who has gone through the parenting part of this.

patty, I have tdoc appt in a few but I wanted to talk about a couple of things before I go. If you have anything you don't want her to steal, .....money, credit/debit cards....anything......hide it, lock it up, get a lock box, whatever.....put it where she can't find it. It is what it is. I think you mentioned she used drugs at one point? When you can't trust someone, you just can't, and you do what you have to do.

I know you wish you could, but obviously you can't. Doesn't mean you don't love her, not at all. But you have to protect yourself. and don't give her money.....she won't use it for what she says she is.....if she needs something, you buy it for her. And no she won't like it, but too bad, she'll have to deal with it.

You're only enabling her when you do. I raised two boys, as I mentioned. One of them had issues......not bp, but serious ones. No, he didn't like it when I set boundaries and I finally put him outta the house. Best thing I could have done. Your daughter is a grown ass woman and she's playing you big time.

You're going to have to learn how to set boundaries with her, and that's where therapy will come in.

Sorry if seemed abrupt or harsh.......I'll be back after appt.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by pattyb » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:21 pm

pattyb

by Tigger » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:21 pm

Hi Patty-

I don't have experience with a young adult. My son is 11. That said, there is another site for parents who are dealing with children with "conduct disorders"--which really is anything from bipolar to ODD to what have you.

It's an open board. Here is the link:

https://www.conductdisorders.com/community/#axzz4SBAwUz00

These women and a few men have seen it all.

Take care.
_______

Tigger

by pattyb » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:18 pm

Thanks for the info on the board for behavior problems but is that what this is? Is her bipolar making her be this way? Do I support her through this or use tough love? She never called me after her appt today. I know she went because I had to pay the therapist. I guess I won't be privey to what is happening.
pattyb

by Mocha » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:25 pm

pattyb wrote:Thanks for the info on the board for behavior problems but is that what this is? Is her bipolar making her be this way? Do I support her through this or use tough love? She never called me after her appt today. I know she went because I had to pay the therapist. I guess I won't be privey to what is happening.

patty, I'm going to give you two links for parents who are in the same position as you. They are for friends & family. They may be able to help you more than we can. I think you'll be able to find people there who've gone through/are going through the same things you're dealing with now.

Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance Family Center

Supporting Someone with Bipolar: For Family and Friends

Another reason I feel for you is my step son also had bp. He was a mess. And my dh, his father, may he rest in peace, was completely enabling, set no boundaries whatsoever, so he played him every chance he could. To be honest, that's why our marriage ended.

About supporting her or using tough love. You can do both. And you can learn how to do this in therapy. I want to ask you something, and please don't take offense. Have you always enabled your daughter? Have you ever set boundaries with her at all?

And re: not knowing what's going on with your daughter's therapy sessions. No, you'll never know what happens there because she's an adult. I know it's hard. When my son was a minor it was different. His pdoc was open with me about what was going on, but after he came of age, that all changed.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by Tigger » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:31 pm

Mocha, thank you for those links. I know they're for Patty but they're super helpful.

Patty, I'm also struggling with how much pressure to put on my son. At this point it's been a year of "alternative parenting," so to speak, where I've stuffed my instinct to push him and spent more time trying to help him deal with these sudden and debilitating mood cycles. He's a rapid cycler. Just this week I've come down on the side of "tough love." And the reason is because I'm just tired and I want my life back. I love my son. He's a good kid. But because he's been so sick for a year, we've been very careful about our expectations of him. But, for us, now is the time for us to start treating him the way we used to. I keep telling myself two things. 1. He's not going to break if he gets depressed or hypomanic and 2. When he has to struggle with his emotions its an opportunity for him to learn his own strength--if I take that opportunity away from him by making life easier, I'm not doing him any favors.

So, that's where I'm at right now. I'm freaking tired and just want everything to be okay again. :roll:
_______

Tigger

by pattyb » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:28 am

Thanks for your input Tigger. It is like walking a tightrope knowing when to nurture and when to stand firm. I am just tired as well. I can't even imagine how exhausted she is with her racing thoughts, etc.
pattyb

Return to Bipolar Parents