Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Bipolar son

A place for Moms, Dads, and Parents-to-be.

by Whattodo » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:49 am

Hello I am new to the group and hope it's ok to post this I just need to understand this. My son has bi polar clinical depression and maybe Aspergers . He has been on suicide watch with crisis team last year he self harms and a heavy drinker . I am there for him 100%
I am having a problem understanding his depression in a way and wonder if someone can shed a light please .....

I don't know how to describe it....... he wants to sign off work for "2" weeks as he feels he's not coping and I can see he is struggling at times but then in an instance of being low he's off out with a friend or going to the pictures with his brother seems ok but then dives down can it happen like that ?? As before if he was low he wouldn't get out of bed wash hate the world says what's the point etc ....
I hope I explaining myself I shaking typing this as I don't know what to think please advise if you can x
Whattodo

by AvantGarde » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:06 am

Hello Whattodo,

Here are some resources that can help you, especially if you live in the US, if not let us know we'll try to find other resources.

Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance

Supporting Someone with Bipolar: For Family and Friends - Healthy Place

Find Your Local NAMI

Hope this helps.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes
AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Mocha » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:46 am

Hi, Whattodo....

I'm so sorry for your situation. How old is your son, btw? You mentioned the drinking? Booze is a depressant and can't be helping things. Also some us of self medicate/or have in the past. Not saying that's what your son is doing......just saying it's not all that uncommon.

How long has he been dx with bp, clinical depression and possible Aspergers? Is he seeing a pdoc (psychiatrist) and a tdoc (therapist?

On meds?

Whattodo wrote:I can see he is struggling at times but then in an instance of being low he's off out with a friend or going to the pictures with his brother seems ok but then dives down can it happen like that ?? As before if he was low he wouldn't get out of bed wash hate the world says what's the point etc ....

Oh yeah, it can happen just like that. We can cycle. Especially if our meds aren't doing their job. And sometimes it takes a while to get the right meds.

And we can cycle several times a day......That's called rapid cycling. And believe me it's so very miserable for us.

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

Return to Bipolar Parents