Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Memory loss

Talk about meds, side effects, and the 'med-go-round'.

by purplepassion » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:04 pm

Hello,
Is memory loss a common problem for people w/ BP? I don't know if my memory loss is related to my disorder, or a side effect of medication? My kids are 20 yrs. & 18 yrs. and I can only remember certain moments from their childhood. When they are recalling fond memories, often I have no recollection. This is just one example of my memory difficulties. I don't remember struggling with my memory before being on psych. meds.

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks,
purplepassion
purplepassion

by Lovehope » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:04 pm

I have suffered from memory loss ever since my first manic episode. I couldn't hold concentration AT ALL or remember ANYTHING during the episode and my memory and concentration never fully came back. It improved, but never to where it was before I suffered mania. I am convinced it was the mania that has caused me to suffer cognitively. It could be something else but I'm pretty sure there's literature out there on manic and depressive episodes affecting cognition in the long term. That being said, meds don't help. So it could be many things but for me I believe I lost a lot of cognitive functioning in that first manic episode
Lovehope

by AvantGarde » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:52 pm

Same here, I have serious memory issues. Also don't know if the cause is mania or meds. :?

If you think it's worth it to see a neurologist, maybe try that.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by Jemane » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:49 pm

My memory isn’t as great as it used to be. It’s a problem in my line of work. I think it’s mainly related to problems concentrating enough to lay down the short term memories in the first place as it’s definuteky worse when my moods down and improves when I’m up. I guess it’s possibly medication as well. I think it’s improved since stopping olanzapine.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Jemane

by hal » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:38 am

My short-term memory isn't so great anymore, but I attribute it to age. :shock:
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

by Spm24 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:54 am

My memory has spurts. There are certain things that I remember and always seem to remember. Yet other times I can not remember what I am trying to say. I remember bits and pieces from my history. Can I really recall whole scenes of it. Nope... I have issues just as others do.
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by Lisa » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:49 am

For myself, I think I've got a greater loss of short-term memory. I've never remembered much of my childhood, probably a protection mechanism :/
Lisa

by Mocha » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:54 am

Hi again, purple... :) .....

memory....hmm.....

I haven't noticed bp/manic episodes causing any issues for me in particular. I remember my manic episodes in detail. (And the consequences..:roll:) Depression/anxiety can affect folks, bp or not.

That said, I do have a lot of other things going on that probably affect my memory. Topamax, benzos(particularly bad for memory), a lifetime of smoking pot, booze, various and sundry drugs (not Rx'd), epilepsy, .....plus normal effects of aging like hal said.

And sometimes just not being interested in whatever info is coming in, so it doesn't 'stick'.

But that's just me. We've had many of our members post about the memory issues before.

Maybe, like AG suggested, it would be worth a referral to a neurologist?

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Mocha
Site Admin

by ImSwingin2 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:05 pm

Oh my GOSH! I thought I was either getting older or going crazy. I forget EVERYTHING lately. I noticed it about 2 years ago and today it's RIDICULOUS how forgetful I am. Where I laid my keys down 3 seconds ago, what my boss asked me to do just 10 minutes ago, who played the tall doctor on that show...?? I had previously been on 1000mg of Seroquel (Quetapine) for the last 4 years or so. A year ago stopped completely, bad I know, and have been taking 1200mg of Lithium for the last month. And I'm stilllll forgetful. I've had my manic episodes, too, but I never noticed as much during those like I do now.
It's a beautiful day.
I think I'll skip my meds and stir things up a bit.
ImSwingin2

by Mocha » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:46 am

ImSwingin2 wrote:Oh my GOSH! I thought I was either getting older or going crazy. I forget EVERYTHING lately. I noticed it about 2 years ago and today it's RIDICULOUS how forgetful I am. Where I laid my keys down 3 seconds ago, what my boss asked me to do just 10 minutes ago, who played the tall doctor on that show...?? I had previously been on 1000mg of Seroquel (Quetapine) for the last 4 years or so. A year ago stopped completely, bad I know, and have been taking 1200mg of Lithium for the last month. And I'm stilllll forgetful. I've had my manic episodes, too, but I never noticed as much during those like I do now.

Hi and ImSwinging and welcome.....

I've read several articles lately about Lithium affecting memory......You might want to do some research yourself, also talk to your pdoc. And of course not good to dc your Seroquel abruptly....you knew we were going to say that....... ;) .....Some of the antipsychotics like Seroquel can affect your memory too. Really talk to pdoc, ok?

I make lists of everything I need to do. Put my keys down in the same place everyday/evening, little stuff like that. Don't know if it would help you or not.

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Mocha
Site Admin

Return to Medications