Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Anyone benefited from an untraditional treatment?

Talk about meds, side effects, and the 'med-go-round'.

by Elijah » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:00 pm

I refuse to accept that psychiatric meds are the only way to go. There are way too many side-effects and many people have to rely on them for their entire life. So I was wondering if anyone has made any sort of progress with a treatment other than traditional medication?
Elijah

by dubious66 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:13 pm

Elijah wrote:I refuse to accept that psychiatric meds are the only way to go. There are way too many side-effects and many people have to rely on them for their entire life. So I was wondering if anyone has made any sort of progress with a treatment other than traditional medication?

I am never going to live this down...

While there are other life choices that can help in managing BP, no meds? Unless you are willing to be locked up in one place or another and/or strapped down until it passes, for major mania or depression that puts you or others in danger, meds are required, in my opinion. From my perspective, it seems prudent to try to avoid those extremes with med intervention before strapping down becomes necessary...
dubious66

by Pancake » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:21 pm

many people have to rely on them for their entire life

Much like any other incurable illness.

Therapy didn't take for me at all until I was on a more even footing with meds. I rely on both.
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by AvantGarde » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:15 pm

I studied alternative medicines for a period in my life, exactly with that idea in mind, a bit kind of in denial.

What I found is, there is a reason why all countries in the world are adopting western medicine. It actually started in the Middle East, we as adventurers of the sea, stole a lot of ideas from there and Asia and evolved them and put them to practice. It's by far not perfect, and it fits in a sort of morally decadent society in my view, mostly due to the people doing the medicine, not the methods, the methods are fine.

There is no alternative medicine to treat mental illness of any kind. In certain tribes in Africa we might be regarded as shamans, but in our society we're not. That's just something we need to learn live with. Like all things, some stuff are good others are bad. We do have meds that allow us to be stable for a long time.

The second step I did after realizing that a western view to alternative medicines will always be too 'unicorns in the clouds', was to be greatful that I did in fact take meds. When folks started telling me to quit meds because of Big Pharma or to accept I'm "special" and not sick, I realized they are clueless to the reality of suicidal ideation for example.

Suicidal ideation is just one of the extremes of this illness. Without meds to keep us grounded sometimes, doctors to help us out, and the "dreaded" psych wards, a lot of us wouldn't be here. No other type of medicine has this range of action to help us out.

In China, some folks with schizophrenia are locked in cages. Tradicional Chinese Medicine does nothing to help them out. In India, people abandon the mentally ill in asylums without meds to be left to be crazy locked up and far away from communities (and they can have more access to more medications, there's just a lot of stigma), in certain countries in Africa, mentally ill folks are chained to the floor.

If you do find out about a better approach to mental illness than the current Western one, let me know.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by Jemane » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:50 pm

Can’t imagine where I’d be without meds. Actually I know where I’d be- I’d be dead.
I would never risk coming off meds. It’s a chronic illness with no cure, but can be managed.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Jemane

by Duckysmom » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:54 am

Even with the difficulty I've had finding the right cocktail of meds, I can't imagine not taking them. Without meds and therapy, I'd be jobless, homeless and/or dead. There is no other way to effectively treat BP.
"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

by Mom2dani » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:27 am

I’m thankful for being on meds and going to therapy. When my ex husband left I had a breakdown that led to the ER. After seeing a psychiatrist and being properly diagnosed after years of being misdiagnosed, the cocktail of meds have helped me want to live. Stabilized my moods and have helped me through this very trying time. Even when I have sadness due to the end of my marriage, I can bounce back quicker and want to live to see what the day has for me.

Best of luck on looking for something other than meds, but just know they will always be there for you if you decide to come back to them.
"Today, I will trust this process and this journey that I have undertaken"
Mom2dani

by Tigger » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:29 am

Just as I would no sooner recommend someone with diabetes try yoga, neither would I make that suggestion to someone with bipolar disorder. This is a brain disorder. Like any organ in the body, the brain sometimes suffers from chronic illnesses. As a society we are extremely fortunate that medications are available to take that can help mitigate the symptoms of mental health disorders. Otherwise, those symptoms can and do lead to death (i.e. suicide).
_______

Mom to 12 year old boy with bipolar

Meds: 300mg Lamictal; 300mg Lithium; 10mg Abilify; .25mg Risperdal
Tigger

by Elijah » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:14 pm

Thank you so much to everyone who replied, you've given me a lot of insight.

Perhaps I didn't word my statement as efficiently as I should have; I myself have been on medications for a while and am still taking them today. Of course I believe these pharmaceuticals are the best shot we have to live relatively normal lives, well, that we know of.

Personally, I've been to several types of therapists and haven't really gained any benefit from them; I would go consistently for at least a month but it irritated me because they never said/taught anything substantial, and it felt like they would repeat their words session after session.

I was just curious if there was anyone who benefited from a different method who was either able to stop taking their meds altogether or at least able to lower their dose and still function. In my opinion, these medications affect our brain by helping one area while also deteriorating another, I can feel it; At 20 y/o my mind isn't the same as it was when I was 16, and I don't believe it's the disorder. This, I think, it's especially true when one is misdiagnosed.

Thought I'd add this in here: I believe we are special, not because we're mentally ill but because we have a calling. Now I don't want to get all spiritual, but, I think God gave us certain gifts that the rest of the population will never have, and one of the costs of receiving them is this disorder among other struggles. All the prophets throughout the bible--including the disciples of Jesus--had what we call mental disorders today. The last will be first. We have a purpose. Jesus is the answer. Believe in Him first, and then you'll see. It was very tough for me to believe, but when I did my life changed forever.

I really tried not to get too preachy, and I apologize in advance if I offended anyone. I respect all spiritual beliefs and religions.
Elijah

by cottontail » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:18 pm

While there are other life choices that can help in managing BP, no meds? Unless you are willing to be locked up in one place or another and/or strapped down until it passes, for major mania or depression that puts you or others in danger, meds are required, in my opinion. From my perspective, it seems prudent to try to avoid those extremes with med intervention before strapping down becomes necessary...
dubious66

Yep couldn't have put it better myself.
cottontail

by Tigger » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:23 pm

Bipolar disorder has nothing to do with God, in my opinion. Nor does it make one any more special than any other chronic illness. I've never thought that I was special because I need glasses, or SSRI's for the depression, or that one is special because they have a defective thyroid or kidney, liver or pancreas. Just because it's your brain doesn't make it more special.

Listen, I totally get trying to make sense of such a debilitating disorder. And it would be wonderful if all this pain and confusion was for a reason. But sometimes shit happens. And there is no reason for it. I try to tell my son that the way he's feeling sucks but it will pass and he'll feel better soon. It's really not more than that.

I wish that for you too. You're young. And I hope you find the support you need.
_______

Mom to 12 year old boy with bipolar

Meds: 300mg Lamictal; 300mg Lithium; 10mg Abilify; .25mg Risperdal
Tigger

by Mom2dani » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:31 am

I think you’ve found your untraditional treatment, your faith. I am a spiritual person , now trying to understand my faith and build my faith. But I don’t think I am special because of that faith, but if you do, that is your treatment to cope and understand,

I don’t think God made me special by me being bipolar, I do believe it is genetic possibly passed down generation to generation, like tigger said, people with kidney disease, heart disease probably don’t think god made them special be giving them these debilitating diseases. They most likely may be angry and not necessarily at God, but that this how the cookie crumbled, ya know.

I’m not knocking what you’re beliefs are, those are yours, these are mine. After all, we were given free will.

I’m just saying, if you are looking for unconventional treatment there it is, along with meds and your faith you can cope, gain stability etc.

Hope I making sense.

Xoxo
"Today, I will trust this process and this journey that I have undertaken"
Mom2dani

Return to Medications