Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Change of anti-depressant meds

Talk about meds, side effects, and the 'med-go-round'.

by gabbee45 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:40 am

I have on Celexa for the last 17 years. I hadn't seen a psychiatrist in about 14 years. My family dr. had been prescribing my bipolar meds.

Three years ago, I remarried for the 4th time for all of the wrong reasons, as usual. Since then I have been very unhappy, hateful to him, and very anxious. I had been seeing a therapist for the last 3 years. I was able to gain insight to my problems although little was changed.

I saw the Psychiatrist two weeks ago and he took me off my Celexa and put me on Cymbalta. It has made me very anxious, jittery, antsy, and my speech goes 50 miles a minute, Of course, some of this could be because I am now going through a divorce and trying to get everything accomplished. I have had to take extra clonazepam just to keep me halfway sane. Has anyone else had issues with this medication?

Gabbee
gabbee45

by Pancake » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:50 pm

Gabbee, are you bipolar? Are you taking any other medications? It doesn't sound like things were well controlled before seeing this psychiatrist?

I would encourage you to do some research on any meds you are taking. Particular antidepressants can cause mania in someone with bipolar. Cymbalta was a bad one for me.
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by gabbee45 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:01 pm

I am sorry, I am new here. Yes I am bipolar. I was diagnosed after a nervous breakdown in 2000. I have been manic in the past but mostly it is with spending but also bad choices.

I was single for 10 years and I just feel like I am better off alone. My husband is immature and very annoying. I married him after 3 months of meeting him. Another, bad choice. After, I married was when I reached out to therapy again. I hadn't been to therapy in years either. I wanted to make this marriage work and instead I have assumed the blame for the failure of the marriage.

My therapist referred me to this Psychiatrist. I wasn't impressed. He spent maybe 20 minutes with me. My biggest fear has been the change in my medication.

I feel he should have got to know me a little better before changing my meds.

gabbee
gabbee45

by hal » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:37 pm

Welcome to our community, Gabbee. You do sound very anxious. Hope we can be of some help to you.
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

by Spm24 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:54 pm

Welcome Gabbee.

I don't know anything about Cymbalta or Celexa. I just know that any antidepressants they put me on it sent me manic so they are a no go for me.

Hopefully you can work with this pdoc to find the right combo for you now.. I can imagine going through a divorce can be a short trigger for the feelings your having right now...
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by Pancake » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:17 pm

My biggest fear has been the change in my medication.

I feel he should have got to know me a little better before changing my meds.

It's ok to question him, and take part in the decision-making process. It's your health, after all. Do you have another appointment coming up?

Is that your only medication? Most of us need a bit of a cocktail, and at least a mood stabiliser.
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by MochaAdmin » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:23 pm

gabbee45 wrote:My husband is immature and very annoying. I married him after 3 months of meeting him. Another, bad choice.

Been there, done that....... :) two full blown manias ended up with two husbands. I agree....annoying as hell. I only knew one of them for 3 weeks....:roll:

Gabbee, what else are you taking besides Cymbalta and your benzo?

And about this new pdoc.....jmo, I agree. Maybe he should have spent a little more time with you. Did he say why he was changing your AD?

Like the others have mentioned, those of us with bp quite often don't do so well with antidepressants.

I recommend you call this pdoc asap and let him know what's going on. And stand up for yourself, your concerns and all that.

And welcome..... :)

Not a Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
MochaAdmin
Site Admin

by gabbee45 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:37 pm

Thank you all for your replies. I am on Seroquel and Lithium as well. I have been on all of these for 17 years.

I do have an appointment coming up on the 25th and I called the office today to explain about my anxiety to the Dr. Of course, I heard nothing back from him today. I don't think I would feel this much anxiety if it weren't for Cymbalta. It is a side effect of it. Celexa, I never had any problems with. I had been on forums years ago when first diagnosed and read where others had so much problem with getting the right medication and dosage before they were helped. I felt so fortunate. I did say everyday I suicidal ideations but no plans but it was because I felt stuck in my marriage. Now, I am getting out and other than anxiety I am at peace.
gabbee45

by MochaAdmin » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:59 pm

I'm glad to hear you're at peace about the marriage thing. Believe me I get it big time. I swore I didn't care how manic I got again, I wasn't marrying anybody again and I didn't.....lol

I'm glad you called pdoc. If you don't want to take the Cymbalta, tell him so. There are several mood stabilizers that work well for depression. Seroquel has always worked on the SI for me. Have Seroquel and Li always been good meds for you?

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
MochaAdmin
Site Admin

by gabbee45 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:13 pm

Yes they have. I wasn't sleeping until they added the Seroquel. I have to take 200 mg of Seroquel to get me to sleep but hey it works. I started out with Celexa, clonopin, and Lithium. The psychiatrist I was seeing at that time (years ago) added the Seroquel. I still have my Celexa since I had just refilled it. I am thinking of getting off of the Cymbalta and going back on Celexa. As I said, I am not impressed by this psychiatrist at all. Even though it has been years since I have seen a psychiatrist, I usually talked to them for an hour.

I worked in Medical records before I became disabled due to the bipolar between the depression and anxiety. Therefore, I am super interested in how they bill my insurance. If they are billing for an hour, then that's fraudulent and I don't go for that.
gabbee45

by MochaAdmin » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:48 pm

Cool on the Seroquel and Li. One thing I will say about Cymbalta. It's very hard to discontinue if you've been taking it for a while. Takes a very slow taper and not much fun at all. It's in the same class as Effexor.

gabbee45 wrote:I worked in Medical records before I became disabled due to the bipolar between the depression and anxiety. Therefore, I am super interested in how they bill my insurance. If they are billing for an hour, then that's fraudulent and I don't go for that.

Yeah, I would want to check that too.

And if you're not comfortable with this pdoc it's your right to find someone you are comfortable with, yanno? If we don't click with someone, it's just not going to work.

~Martin Luther King Jr.~
MochaAdmin
Site Admin

by gabbee45 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:09 pm

I have only been on Cymbalta for two weeks so maybe it won't be too bad. I am definitely going to go to another dr. He has not given me any reason to trust him at this point.
gabbee45

by MochaAdmin » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:33 pm

gabbee45 wrote:I have only been on Cymbalta for two weeks so maybe it won't be too bad. I am definitely going to go to another dr. He has not given me any reason to trust him at this point.

No it shouldn't be a problem. And if you don't trust him, find one you do trust.

~Martin Luther King Jr.~
MochaAdmin
Site Admin

Return to Medications