Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Anyone tried Rexulti

Talk about meds, side effects, and the 'med-go-round'.

by Nietzscha » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:41 pm

So, I had probably my worst Manic state ever upon returning to work last week (I work at a school, and it just started back). I was certain I was hearing things, and I did a few crazy things such as temporarily running away from home (needless to say, the husband was really freaked out about my safety). After this, my psychiatrist prescribed Rexulti (brexpiprazole). Now, I gained 25 lbs in one year a couple of years ago, simply due to compulsive/binge eating. I haven't been able to lose it, and the last thing I want is to gain more weight. He said to weigh myself every day, and if there's sudden spikes, he'd change the meds. However, there's lots of other issues with Rexulti such as cancer and blood sugar spikes, and low blood pressure. It says your blood sugar should be tested before getting on this med. My mom had ovarian and breast cancer, as did my maternal grandmother. My dad has diabetes, and I'm overweight now, so I'm a candidate to watch out for diabetes. I'm also borderline low blood pressure, and anemic. All these things seem to add up to a bad idea. I was prescribed this yesterday, and I have yet to take it. Part of why it was prescribed was due to the delusions and extreme anxiety, so I might just be anxious over nothing. Anyone else try this drug? How did it affect you? If it's relevant, I'm on Lamictal 150 mg 2/day and it was really working for a while. It's the only thing I've been on, since I resisted drugs for a loooong time.
Nietzscha

by AvantGarde » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:34 pm

Hey Nietzscha, welcome.

There are and were a lot of folks that have passed through the forum that tried Rexulti. There's a search bar on the top right of the forum, if you type rexulti a bunch of info will come up.

About the binge eating, do you have a tdoc (therapist)? It's a serious issue not resolved by meds. I have the same problem, right now basically under control but not treated. Also, it takes both meds and therapy to tackle BP.

Take your worries to your pdoc (psychiatrist) as well, what happens to others might not apply to you. Everyone reacts differently to meds, and we'd hate to be responsible for your actions over the med.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service &
Shawn's part-time mind disrupter

AvantGarde
Site Admin

Return to Medications