Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

My experience with lamictal

Talk about meds, side effects, and the 'med-go-round'.

by About » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:27 pm

I have been taking mental health medications off and on since the mid 1970s. It always seemed to me that the way they tried to treat cycling emotion and racing thoughts was to tranquilize them into submission. I was first prescribed a combination of lamictal and wellbutrin when i ask the doctor for something that didn't make me lethargic. I've made adjustments(recently) and have tried additions. But for the most part have stuck with this combo. But it is by questioning and compliance and caution that i have for most part I've felt ok with these. And can concentrate on other problem areas. I guess everyone has to find what's right for them. Why has it taken me so long to figure this out. . Now if I could just remember to take them. Actually a recent change to taking everything in the morning should help
About

by Spm24 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:38 pm

It is good that you have basically found a base combination of meds. I am with you in liking lamictal. It was the first med that I took that started to level out my moods. It has had limited side effects for me...

I have trouble sometimes remembering my meds as well. But that is usually my morning dosage of meds since I have only have been doing that for a little over two months.... Hopefully changing the time of taking your meds will help you remember to take them.
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by hal » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:59 pm

I like Lamictal too, been taking it since 2005. Lithium also has been very good for me.

As to remembering when are you scheduled to take the meds? If at night, you might try placing them by your toothbrush. If at meals, beside where your plate goes. Since I have a number of meds, I put them in a plastic case labeled S-M-T-W-T-F-S. Perhaps you could find something similar where you live.
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

by About » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:07 pm

I usually always remember the morning meds because i have other medical issues to address . I consulted my doctor a few days ago and she gave me a time release form of wellbutrin to try taking in the morning and she seems to think it doesn't matter if I take all the lamictal in the morning leaving no meds to forget add lunch or evening. We'll see. I started lamictal in 2006 i think.
About

by About » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:10 pm

And in eleven years y'all are the first lamictal takers I've ever talked to. I'm glad your experience has been positive
About

by Lovehope » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:14 pm

Shows how different meds can be for everyone. Lamictal has made me suicidal twice now (this is the 2nd time.. tried to give it a go again because I thought the first time was maybe just depression). Anyway, glad you have found something that works. To remember my pills I put them in a pill box and take all of them at night because I can't remember in the morning
Lovehope

by About » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:24 pm

I hope you find what works. Don't give up. I often think my life is too difficult. But i get up and try again to somehow make it work
About

by Pancake » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:41 pm

I have an alarm set on my phone to remember be me to take meds.

Actually, I have several, because I'm prone to ignore it if I'm busy, or not home, or otherwise occupied at all.... so I still miss doses :?
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by mollyB1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:52 pm

I am glad that Lamictal works well for you who have posted. Weight gain concerns me. I wonder if you know of strategies to combat this. While my kidney function has declined, the benefits of lithium have helped me rationalize staying on it since 1981. The 3 times I stopped (with supervision) were harmful and the most recent time was terribly frightening. I have been reading about alternative drugs, "atypical antipsychotics" and do not feel eager to make this change. Since my pdoc is taking a passive role, believing that the benefits of lithium justify continuing the drug (despite being at Stage 4 and that the judgment of a nephrologist should determine whether to stop, I am very anxious and worried. I am glad to have found this forum.
mollyB1

by AvantGarde » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:31 am

Welcome molly :D
Genetically evolved chicken at your service &
Shawn's part-time mind disrupter

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by hal » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:02 am

Welcome, Molly. I've been taking lithium for many, many years. Pdoc stopped it out of concern for my kidneys, but started it again because it is by far the most effective med for me. Except for one instance of ARF (acute renal failure) a year or so ago, I haven't had any problems. This was just a spike when I was in the hospital (for a non-BP reason). I'm satisfied with that approach.
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

by Duckysmom » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:25 am

I take Lamictal as well and it has really helped a great deal. Fewer side effects than other meds I have tried. Dosage was recently lowered because of memory issues, but the change has not been an issue as other meds were adjusted up as well and I'm titratting down on my benzo.
"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

by MochaAdmin » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:48 pm

I've also been taking lamictal since 2005, been a great med for me.....along with a cocktail of other meds.

I never had any side effects other than a dull headache at the beginning, but that only lasted about three weeks. Maybe a little brain fog, but not much.

I never have trouble remembering my am and pm meds, due to other medial issues. I take them exactly 12 hours apart. As I mentioned on another thread, my mood stabilizers......Lamical, Tegretol, Topamax and Klonopin also function as my anticonvulsants. No way I'm going to forget to take those...... :)

Not a Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
~Martin Luther King Jr.~
MochaAdmin
Site Admin

by Hezman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:09 pm

Lamictal has given me my energy back my moods are a bit better but still going from euhooric to dysphoric to slightly normal to paranoia.
It does activate me my flat is cleanest it ever been it alo helps with my fivromtalgia as it's a anti convulsant
Hezman

Return to Medications