Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Medications to help the depression side of manic depression

Talk about meds, side effects, and the 'med-go-round'.

by Lilmissfit » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:07 pm

Hi! New here, I am currently prescribed, Adderal, Lexapro and Risperidone.. I am finding that these medications have been controlling my "manic" episodes, but I have been in a super depression on them, I find that I am not having any "mania" episodes instead I am always depressed and not motivated, I sleep all the time and am always exhausted any "happiness" or motivation I have is very short lived. I was wondering if there were medications out there that were more geared to controlling the depression in manic depressive disorder instead of the mania. I find that I have not had many "Mania" periods even off medication its more of a period of depression and anxiety.

These are my current dosages
Aderall 15mg
Lexapro 30mg
Risperidone .25mg (which I take 1 and half of so .375mg )

I have tried seroquel but may have taken it too late in the evening because the next day I was in a fog until about noon. I felt like I was in a bubble and the world was continuing on around me and I was just watching. Very strange.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Lilmissfit

by Duckysmom » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:00 pm

Welcome, Lilmissfit. You will find you fit in here very well. There are a lot of caring, compassionate people here.

I was on resperidone for a bit, but had to go off of it due to side effects. I've also used Adderall but it caused issues with my BP meds. I was on it for ADD. My current meds seem to be helping with that and I am pretty stable right now.

A call to your pdoc (psychiatrist) sounds like it is in order. You are dipping to the low side too much. Do you have a pdoc currently? And therapy can also help greatly. Do you have a tdoc also? We always say it takes meds and therapy to work with BP.
"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

by dubious66 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:05 pm

Seroquel and lamictal (with some other stuff) helped me
dubious66

by Mocha » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:11 pm

Hi and welcome, Lilmissfit......

I'm several meds to keep the hypomania/mania under control, but for the depression, I take Lamictal. It's been great for my depression.

I used to take Seroquel for the same reason, but dc'd it recently.

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Mocha
Site Admin

by AvantGarde » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:51 pm

Welcome :) I take depakote for my depression.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by Jemane » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:08 pm

I take valdoxan (agomelatine) but I have to be careful as if the dose goes too high I get hypomanic.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Jemane

by Lilmissfit » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:04 am

Thank you all so much! This has been such a battle since I was always diagnosed with severe anxiety and depression, it wasn't until recently I was diagnosed as Manic Depressive. I have only had health care through the VA so I have been working with a MD for meds there and a therapist there as well. I just got healthcare outside of the VA so I am searching for a new doctor.
Lilmissfit

by Lilmissfit » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:47 pm

So I have finally told my doctor that I cannot take the risperidone any more and it was completely making me more depressed. so she ordered me a light therapy set up and is starting me on the generic for latuda.. I’m hoping this helps. I hate being depressed and unmotivated especially when I’ll have one great day and get so much done and feel so good and then the next day back to shit!
Lilmissfit

by Mocha » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:29 pm

the light therapy works great for a lot of folks. I think one of our members, Ducky uses it.

Also, many of our pdocs/docs Rx's Vit D for depression. I take it for that reason. He ordered labs first to see what my levels were, and orders them on a regular basis. Worth looking into to....... :)

And about my Lamictal.........I take 200mg/am and 200mg/pm immediate release, but pdoc also added 50mg/am and 50mg/pm extended release. Once he added the extended release, it really made a difference in the depression.

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Mocha
Site Admin

by Lisa » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:39 pm

I hope your doc gets the dosages right, Lilmissfit. Also, there is a mood between depressed and hypomanic, I've read that it's called normal :lol: The days are good, but not magnificent... I hope you find it and enjoy it. I'm still trying to get used to it :roll:
Lisa

Return to Medications