Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Neurotin for benzo replacement

Talk about meds, side effects, and the 'med-go-round'.

by byepolar » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:59 am

My dr has prescribed neurotin with the goal of eliminating benzos. I'm scared bc I'm dependent to deal with the anxiety for bipolar. Also scared bc what I have read about neurotin. (Even lawsuits)
Anyone had experience with this treatment plan?
byepolar

by Mocha » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:18 pm

Hi and welcome, byepolar..... :)

I haven't taken neurontin personally, but have read that it is used to replace benzos. Supposed to be very effective during benzo withdrawal.

That's all I know......hopefully someone else will come along with more information.
Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by AvantGarde » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:10 pm

Welcome :)

I've heard about it too, but don't have the experience with it.
Here's the only research I could find (I didn't try very hard, I'm sure there's more)

Gabapentin (Neurontin): An Adjunct for Benzodiazepine Withdrawal

I read more about it, and it seems neurontin is prescribed to help tapper off benzos because of withdrawl, not as a substitute. Did your pdoc prescribed it as a subsitute?
Genetically evolved chicken at your service &
Shawn's part-time mind disrupter

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by byepolar » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:52 am

Thanks for the responses. I have a video conference with my pdoc next week. Still not sleeping with 2mg ativan and 900 mg of neurotin. I told my husband that I just know she is going to increase the neurotin and I probably won't be able to talk her out of it. Ugh
byepolar

Return to Medications