Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Trileptal/oxcarbazepine

Talk about meds, side effects, and the 'med-go-round'.

by SammyHarp » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:45 am

I'd like to hear from anyone that has taken oxcarbazapine. I've taken tegretol in the past but supposedly trileptal tends to have fewer side effects. I've been taking 10mgs of abilify for about a month now and while I'm now able to at least get out of bed I'd say I'm still at about a 7 or 8 on a scale to 10 (not good). It seemed to perk me up for about a week or so but now I'm back to being teary, down, and unable to work.
SammyHarp

by Mocha » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:56 am

Hi Sammy........Trileptal does have a much lower side effect profile than Tegretol. Why did you switch from Teg to Trleptal?

I've been taking Teg since 2001 for several reasons, and never had any side effects, but I understand some folks do. I also have regular labs every three months as per my pdoc because it's kinda hard on your liver, but so far my liver is fine. It's been a great mood stabilizer for me.

So again, why the switch and how long have you been taking Trileptal?

About Abilify..........you've only been taking it for about a month now, and that's not really long enough to see if you're going to get any positive benefits from it...the usual with most meds.

maybe you should call your pdoc and let him know how your feeling?

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by SammyHarp » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:05 am

I've told my doc about how abilify is (or isn't) making me feel. He wanted me to research trileptal vs tegretol for myself. I took abilify for a while about 6 years ago and it worked but I was tired and did gain weight so I was wondering if I would have a different experience with trileptal. I realize that a month isn't a long time but I suppose I'm feeling desperate for change (you know the feeling). I also remember taking tegretol and feeling much better (experiencing a huge sense of relief) at about the three week mark.
SammyHarp

by Mocha » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:33 am

SammyHarp wrote:I've told my doc about how abilify is (or isn't) making me feel. He wanted me to research trileptal vs tegretol for myself. I took abilify for a while about 6 years ago and it worked but I was tired and did gain weight so I was wondering if I would have a different experience with trileptal. I realize that a month isn't a long time but I suppose I'm feeling desperate for change (you know the feeling). I also remember taking tegretol and feeling much better (experiencing a huge sense of relief) at about the three week mark.

What did he say about the Abilify?

Just curious......if the Teg was working for you, why change? From your post it sounds as though you switched from Teg to Trileptal? And was your doc ordering regular labs?

Or am I misunderstanding your post/meds?

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by SammyHarp » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:22 am

I have been off meds for a long time and was only recently diagnosed bipolar and put on abilify. My doc wanted to try abilify vs tegretol bc he says it is easier to pair with other meds, if needed. After being on it for a month I'm not finding it to be effective and the side effects have been pretty rough. My next course of action would be to try trileptal as it's supposed to have fewer side effects than the ones I experienced with tegretol in the past. I was curious to know others' experience with trileptal for bipolar.
SammyHarp

by Mocha » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:51 am

SammyHarp wrote:I have been off meds for a long time and was only recently diagnosed bipolar and put on abilify. My doc wanted to try abilify vs tegretol bc he says it is easier to pair with other meds, if needed. After being on it for a month I'm not finding it to be effective and the side effects have been pretty rough. My next course of action would be to try trileptal as it's supposed to have fewer side effects than the ones I experienced with tegretol in the past. I was curious to know others' experience with trileptal for bipolar.

ok, gotcha..... :)
Many of our members on our old site did take Trileptal and liked it as a mood stabilizer. I stayed with Teg because it works on a couple of other things for me too.

What bp symptoms are you having, btw? There are many other meds used for mood stabilizers out there. Abilify is an antipsychotic, and many of us take those too, just depends on the symptoms. Did pdoc say why he wanted you to try it?

I take:
Tegretol
Lamictal (really good for BP depression and stabilization)
Topamax
I used to take Seroquel, but it's not recommended for folks my age.
(Another antipsychotic )
Klonopin for anxiety disorder

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by SammyHarp » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:03 am

My pdoc suggested starting with Abilify. Last time I was on Tegretol I noticed a difference in about 3 weeks. I have been experiencing a huge depressive state, just about as bad as it can get. I go through periods of high productivity and usually experience a depressed state about every year or so. I've never experience full blown mania so my doc thinks it's bipolar II. Last time I was on tegretol it was by my old GP. I wish I would have gotten the diagnosis of bipolar back that but every time I would 'test' for it (take surveys, etc) I had never experienced mania so I've just always been diagnosed as depressed. I also have generalized anxiety disorder and I feel I should really be on something for that eventually but my pdoc is trying to get the depression under control first.
SammyHarp

by Mocha » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:32 am

SammyHarp wrote:My pdoc suggested starting with Abilify. Last time I was on Tegretol I noticed a difference in about 3 weeks. I have been experiencing a huge depressive state, just about as bad as it can get. I go through periods of high productivity and usually experience a depressed state about every year or so. I've never experience full blown mania so my doc thinks it's bipolar II. Last time I was on tegretol it was by my old GP. I wish I would have gotten the diagnosis of bipolar back that but every time I would 'test' for it (take surveys, etc) I had never experienced mania so I've just always been diagnosed as depressed. I also have generalized anxiety disorder and I feel I should really be on something for that eventually but my pdoc is trying to get the depression under control first.

Sammy, please keep in mind I'm no professional.....just like my sigline says, but I've been running this site for 13yrs now. But I've been crazier a lot longer than that..... :lol: ........So you can take what I say with a grain of salt....... :D

I know most pdocs add Abilify when other meds aren't working for depression......not as monotherapy.

There are other meds that work for bipolar depression. Like Lamictal. Many of our members take it. I've been taking it for years and years. It's in the anticonvulsant/mood stabilizer class of meds. It's especially good for BPII.

Another antipsychotic that works well for BP depression is Seroquel. I only had to take a low, maintenance dose for that.

But Lamictal is a really good med. Could you talk to your pdoc about it? Is he receptive to your input? Some docs are and some aren't. Hopefully yours is. Never be afraid to be proactive, never let a doc push you around.

About your anxiety. There's no reason for him not to go ahead and give you something for that. Kinda hard to deal with the depression if you're anxious as hell all the time. Best advice I can give you is to stand up for yourself. The best pdocs are the ones who are willing to work with you and take your opinions into consideration.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by SammyHarp » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:41 am

Thanks for all that info. For some reason I thought docs usually only start one med at a time so they can pinpoint where side effects are coming from in case they are intolerable. I see my pdoc next week and will ask him about lamictal as well as the possibility of an anxiety med. Thanks again.
SammyHarp

by Mocha » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:33 am

You're more than welcome. Re: Lamictal.......it's the type of med you have to titrate up on very slowly but that's no big deal. It will give you time to find your sweet spot. Other folks have different experiences of course, but the only side effects I had was a dull headache for a couple of weeks, and feeling a little spacey. But that didn't last long. Pretty typical for that class of meds.

And no labs like Teg...... :)

Please let us know how it goes with your appt, ok?

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by Rabbit » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:00 pm

Hi Sammy! I am new to the site and do not yet have an official diagnosis, but I have taken Trileptal before as a mood stabalizer. For me, the side effects were minimal. The most notable was a morning headache, which went away before too long.

However, I also found it to be ineffective at mood stabilization. If I remember correctly I ended up on the highest recomended dose, but still had issues. I eventually changed medication after falling into a pretty rough depression coupled with rage.

That being said, it may work better for you than it did for me. Best of luck as you navigate the maze of medication. I hope this has helped.
Rabbit

by byepolar » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:59 am

I've been taking Lamictal for years and love it. Depakote made me gain 40 pounds in a matter of 4 months. I can't take Topamax bc it makes me stupid (another name for it is Dopamax - haha). Ask your doc to give it a try. I supposedly take the maximum dose which is 200 mg in am and 300 mg in pm. Ive never taken tegretol and have read it causes weight gain. I also have anxiety and rxd ativan 2mg in am and I have to take 2mg to help me sleep (still have sleep issues but I think that is the maximum dose as well).
byepolar

Return to Medications