Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Gabapentin anyone?

Talk about meds, side effects, and the 'med-go-round'.

by Alison » Fri May 19, 2017 2:11 pm

Hey guys,

My pdoc started me on gabapentin today. I have been reading some about it, and it's not really helping me understand much. Some articles say it isn't useful for bp/anxiety and some say it is.

Pdoc says I have been bouncing from manic to major depression, but we have only been testing out this med stuff since I was diagnosed a couple months ago.

I would love any feedback you might have about this drug and your experiences. Thanks!
Alison

by AvantGarde » Sat May 20, 2017 10:36 pm

It focuses on the GABA receptors, it is good for anxiety.

Sorry I only read this now. How are you dealing with it so far?
Genetically evolved chicken at your service (I accept Etsy gift cards only)

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes
AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Jemane » Sat May 20, 2017 11:18 pm

When are you seeing your pdoc again to discuss the medication?
I haven't heard of gabapentin for anxiety I must admit.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Jemane

by AvantGarde » Sat May 20, 2017 11:51 pm

Gabapentin is commonly prescribed for anxiety. My old pdoc didn't like it, though, said it had the same addictive characteristics as benzos.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service (I accept Etsy gift cards only)

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes
AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Pertalote » Sun May 21, 2017 2:22 pm

Hi. I have been taking Gabapentin (300 MG) every night for about 2 years. I have herniated disks in my neck, and the drug helps with the nerve pain. I understand from reading that it can also function as a mild mood elevator. If I take it in the morning it seems to have that effect.
Pertalote

by inky » Sat May 27, 2017 8:45 am

Hello,

I have taken gabapentin regularly (with and without other medications) for a few years now. Depending on what other medication i have been on at the time depends what dose i have taken. It has been my rock helping me though tough times and the good times. i havent had any really bad experiences with side effects.

How are you doing on it so far? i hope it works out for you
inky
inky

by Alison » Sat May 27, 2017 2:30 pm

Honestly I love it. Started out feeling sleepy after taking it and it does help to sleep at night. First few doses made me feel high. I have never smoked weed but I'm assuming....everything was super funny n I was soooo mellow. Overall I think it is an improvement. I just wanted to share. Feeling less anxiety and more level in my thinking is great!
Alison

by Alison » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:21 pm

Okay update. Got a little too happy...restless...super productive....jittery...fast and loud talking...floods of thoughts...you guys know the drill. So then worried pdoc increased gabapentin to 900/day followed by 1800/day a few days later. Then got soooooo mellow. Not sad, just not flying. Have to admit I was sad to stop flying. A couple of days ago I got so wrapped up doing things at home/work that I forgot to eat both lunch and breakfast and missed morning and noon meds. Oh wow I felt so good! Back to flying me. Took meds and hello mellow. I am not hurting anyone...really struggling to keep taking meds. And I know that's wrong...grrrr....
Alison

by Jemane » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:30 pm

Can relate Alison. I like feeling up too. It's such a relief after having been down. Plus I get so damn productive and get everything done!
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Jemane

by Redwhitblu » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:04 pm

I've been on Gabaoentin and like it. However, I found It made me too uninhibited. Which is fine if I'm in a normal mood state. Not fine mixed with being in any type of episode. ultimately, I got off it but keep it on the back shelf prn. It was one less med that seemed unessary as it really didn't do anything to prevent episodes. Just helped with some residual anxiety.
Redwhitblu

Return to Medications