Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

fluoxetine and paranoia *potential TW*

Talk about meds, side effects, and the 'med-go-round'.

by ethnez » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:50 pm

hey everyone,

** potential TW as i describe a possible paranoid side effect from taking this med and i know if i read someones description of a menacing experience it might trigger intrusive thoughts, so read with care x **

I've been taking fluoxetine for only 5 days now and i think its already having a bad effect on me. I've taken sertraline for a month before and had to stop that because my mood was so elevated and my speech and thoughts were so rapid that i just couldn't keep up, and id never felt that extremely euphoric before whilst sober. i knew it was the sertraline and stopped it, much to my drs disapproval.

its now a year and a bit later and I'm on fluoxetine, despite warning both my pdoc and gp that i didn't have a great reaction to sertraline, they keep insisting this will be helpful to me.
I'm on 10mg a day and, like i said, have only been taking it for 5 days. i feel worse than when i was on sertraline and i almost wish i could swap it back.
my skin feels tight on my body and sharp and buzzy, like when you sit on your foot too long and get pins and needles. and my head is ringing and buzzing and i am so paranoid. i have ocd anyway which means i am always somewhat paranoid, but an hour ago i completely broke down in the kitchen.
i was, and still kind of am, convinced that there is a thin sinister man in the garden, similar to pictures of slender man but more menacing. he has a much more gruesome face and he is just stood there. i sat on the kitchen floor pretty much paralysed and i kept seeing figures blur behind me and whenever i moved my head. faces were sort of morphing onto objects and i could see two satanic faces smiling at each other on the floor in front of me. even if i looked away and looked back i could still see it, it wouldn't shake off. no one else was home and i didn't know what to do, i tried to tell my boyfriend what was happening via text and it took me so long to type it out of fear that the man would see me typing it and kill me or harm me out of anger that I'm telling on him. i always get scared that my phone is hacked and my phone calls are being recorded anyway, but when i was typing it to my boyfriend it was like i could feel the figure getting closer and closer and angrier and angrier. my head buzzing was more intense and it felt like i was going to faint or something. i didn't feel in control. i couldn't move apart from my fingers very slowly to type on my phone which was in my hands. it was like if i moved i;d die. like i was being hunted and there was movement sensors.
i don't know how long i was there for, but i managed to snap myself out of the sort of hypnotic-esque state i was in and ran upstairs to my bedroom, slammed the door shut and blocked it and covered my windows completely. i don't feel safe, but i feel there is at least a barrier.

anyway. my question is, is this a common side effect? am i supposed to feel like this? I'm angry that i feel this bad because i tried telling my dr what happened when i took an ssri before and they won't listen. this is the only medication i am on and i have a review on the 30th to see how its going and they want to up my dose to 20mg then. my boyfriend says i should continue taking it until that appointment, and i am still taking it. but i am so scared. i don't want this to get worse. should i try and see the dr soon or try and ride it out until the 30th?? I'm sorry if the answer to this seems obvious to any of you, i just dont have anywhere else to turn to that will take me seriously and its all i can think about. i feel guilty even posting this haha

sorry for such a long post i just don't know where else to go to ask this kind of question. thank you everyone x
ethnez

by Mocha » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:29 pm

ethnez

I would try to see doc asap......are you seeing a pdoc or? And are you in the US or?

I can't remember if you've already told us or not.

The things you've described can be very rare side effects of Prozac aka fluoxetine. I'm not saying what you're experiencing are those side effects, just saying they can be.

You really do need to talk to doc asap. Especially if you don't have a history of this type of thing.

Have you docs ever tried any mood stabilizers to treat your bp instead of antidepressants? I'm going back to read your other posts now.

And about docs not listening to you. What assholes...... :evil:
Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by Mocha » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:42 pm

ok, I read your thread......now I get it.......you're in the UK and dealing with the NHS......gps usually won't Rx mood stabilizers etc....only pdocs.......after you wait on a referral.

At least you already have a therapist......some folks wait forever to get one of those.

My best friend, may she rest in peace, had to deal with them for years and I remember everything she had to go through.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by ethnez » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:14 pm

Ah yes sorry i should have said I'm in the uk again!!

my pdoc said she didn't want to prescribe mood stabilisers because i'm 'only 19 and still a child' and didn't want to cause my body any damage, especially as I'm female. didn't make a whole lot of sense to me as any meds can damage anyone, but i just went along with it. they also have not yet confirmed a diagnosis for my mood (aside from depression) which i think would help greatly when it comes to knowing what meds to take. but like you said, they won't listen to me :lol: i almost feel like they've put me on another ssri to test me and see if it makes me manic/psychotic because i dont think they believe me when it tell them anything and they're literally waiting for me to flip so they can diagnose me or for nothing to happen so they can say 'told you so'. but i could just be thinking that because I'm not thinking straight. who knows !

I've been seen by the early intervention psychosis team before in 2015 but they just put it down to my ocd, saying that my paranoia about being constantly filmed, stalked and watched was my ocd :? I'm not so sure any more, my boyfriend was scared by the way i was talking on the phone which confirmed that I'm not feeling myself (or as 'normal' as usual)

but thank you for your response, mocha. I'm sorry to hear your best friend struggled with them, i know it won't change anything but I'm sending you my love x
ethnez

by Mocha » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:14 pm

I just wish everyone had the same caliber of mental health care as I do, ethnez.......it frustrates me when I hear your stories. Life would be so much easier for all of you if these people knew what the hell they were doing.

but thank you for your response, mocha. I'm sorry to hear your best friend struggled with them, i know it won't change anything but I'm sending you my love x

Thank you.......that was very thoughtful..... :)

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by Pancake » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:19 pm

I'm in camp *grrrr* with Mocha.

"Let's just try one more 217th time, just in case." (In case what? In case I'm a prescriber testing robot and somebody changed the setting? In case I'm confused? Lying? Dude, my reactions to this medication are not, in any way, shape, or form, vague.)

Sorry, this topic makes me feisty :lol: I hope you work stuff out with your drs sooner rather than later.
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by AvantGarde » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:35 pm

Honestly, I would call your GP, it's still nine days away from the 30th and you can have a full blown psychotic episode. I never advocate for people stopping meds without their doc's consent, but in this case you need to talk to someone fast.

Before I was diagnosed, I went to a pdoc (as per my GP's referral) that prescribed me an antidepressant, I refused to take it and my GP, that was in charge of my mental health back then and deciding if I needed to be hospitalized or not, eventually gave me an old school antipsychotic. I got better but I was so out there that decided I didn't need it because I wasn't crazy :roll: anyway, your GP can prescribe you an antipsychotic for sure, it's better than antidepressants that leave you psychotic.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

If you're crazy and you know it, take your meds.

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by ethnez » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:14 am

When it comes to doctors i think lately I've bought a house in camp Grrr :lol:

i called my gp and they dont have any appointments today and my pdoc didn't pick up the phone so i left a message and i could hear how stupid i sounded, just kept repeating that i needed to see her haha. I'm supposed to have work tomorrow but the receptionist at the regular drs said i can ring up and get an emergency appt tomorrow.

i was thinking of asking for anti psychotics last night too but i dont want it to come across as bossy. they also keep telling me that its just my ocd but i dont feel like it is?
i got so angry last night and started an argument with some random girl on twitter and it felt like i could just say whatever i wanted and i didn't care. i could literally feel my blood boiling i was so angry and felt quite aggressive, which i dont usually feel like.

sorry for such a frustrating topic haha, thanks for all being so supportive !
ethnez

by AvantGarde » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:01 am

I don't think you can come across as bossy when asking for the proper treatment, it's your right as a patient to be well treated, despite the doctor.

I tend to get in fights on social media when I'm boiling too.. It's usually over politics lol :evil:

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by ethnez » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:21 am

hahaha oh man I'm sure theres loads of people to argue with over politics when you feel like that too.
i had a go at this girl for tweeting about being proud she sent a text that ruined her boyfriends day. told her it was disgusting and nothing to be proud of, she said i had ugly eyebrows??? so i told her to fuck off and stop being so petty and got really riled up and angry with her.

also, my pdoc rang back. said to half the dose or stop it. after describing what happened, she said to stop taking it. thats it. didn't ask to see me or anything. i feel so shit haha
ethnez

by AvantGarde » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:05 am

Accusing someone of having ugly eyebrows is so classy, though :lol: :roll:

Glad that, at least, they told you to stop taking the medication. Seems so negligent though, I'm sorry for that. The failings of the UK's NHS is being witnessed over here in Portugal too, we had the tendendy to copy it, now we're turning to the North...

AvantGarde
Site Admin

Return to Medications