Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Patient Assistance Programs for the Uninsured: Getting Meds

Do you have it and does it cover your needs?

by ac.brainform » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:45 pm

Hey folks! New to the forums here, and I saw this (rebooted) topic was empty, so I thought I'd share some things I've learned over the years spent finding ways to pay for BP treatment while uninsured.

Meds can be pricey. Like, really pricey, especially if you are uninsured. I spent years after being diagnosed with no money and no prescription coverage. Even after making adjustments to minimize the out of pocket costs of medications, I've still got one that's outrageously expensive if you don't have insurance: Lamictal. Even generic lamotrigine isn't cheap (as many folks know).

Pro tip: to get Lamictal, check out Bridges to Access, a patient assistance program through Glasko Smith Kline. No, I don't work for GSK, or like pharmaceutical companies in general; this just happens to be a great program. I first heard about it back in 2008, and I've worked with them on and off since then. They offer quite a few medications through the program in addition to Lamictal, so check out their list if you take GSK drugs. It's a relatively simple program to navigate, they have excellent customer service, and I've received years of *free* brand Lamictal this way. I'm not sure how well it goes when you have an income, but if you are jobless and have no insurance, it's an awesome way to go.

Just wanted to share, because it was a lifesaver for me! :) Check out the link if you are interested. If you are having a hard time working through the application process, let me know: I've done it several times (you have to renew every year), and I'm happy to help!

https://www.bridgestoaccess.com/index.html

Anyone else know of any other patient assistance programs that cover meds used to treat BP? There's got to be more out there; I just haven't looked because my only other RX is lithium, which is dirt cheap even at full price.
ac.brainform

by Mocha » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:20 pm

thanks for the helpful information, ac.brainform ......

another great link is:

http://www.needymeds.com

It's a very reputable site. We've been recommending them for over ten years.

Also, Astra-Zenaca has a Patient Assitance Program for meds made by the Company. Def work checking out.

Your docs have to fill out a certain amount of paperwork for you, and I've never met one yet who minded.
Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by Jammie22 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:52 pm

Thank you for your post. I am definitely am looking into it. When my husband gets home from work, I am going to have him help me fill it out. Thanks, again so much
Jammie22

Return to Insurance Issues