Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Therapy

Do you have it and does it cover your needs?

by Bun58 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:04 pm

I need a therapist. My parents are unsupportive. I brought up finding me one, but they weren't very interested to say the least. I need to talk to someone, but I have no money to pay for it. I depend on my parents financially. I hate that, but it's the way things are right now.

Do any of you know how I should go about finding a therapist or finding a way to pay for one? I want to go through insurance but I don't know much about it. I have Anthem Blue Cross I believe.

Help...
Never give up, never escape, take everything in and perhaps suffer, but never NEVER give up
-Etty Hillesum
Bun58

by Caroline » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:08 pm

If you are in college they have on campus therapy. As a parent, a hug for you, understanding, empathy. You seek help, that's a big step. Check with student life office.
I am me. Voices in my head, quiet down.
Caroline

by Mocha » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:44 pm

bun, therapy is really important, like we always say around here, just as important as meds, so I'm really glad you want to go down that road as well.

About your parents reluctance. I know you're seeing a doc for your meds........what about having him/her recommend therapy to your parents? It might go over better coming from your doc. Just a thought.

Next time you see him/her, why don't you bring it up?

And Caroline had a good idea too.

In the meantime you have us.......we're always here to listen.
Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by offabit » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:24 pm

I don't know where you are located... I just did a quick Google search for free counseling in my are and got a few hits. May not amount to anything but it couldn't hurt to try.

I know this is not for everyone but I went faith based counseling (for free) for a few months back when I had no funds. Like I said, I know some people just can't do that, and I get it.

Regardless, I hope you are able to find something. There are a few suggestions here, all good. maybe something will pan out.
offabit

by clare_hart » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:36 pm

Bun, have you looked into what NAMI may offer? I have never gone to them except with an inquiry once, but I believe they have lots of programs. Maybe they can refer you to one. We have bipolar support forums here in San Diego that are free. I have even talked to the tdocs at the clinic I attend. I asked if I could start a bipolar forum at the clinic but that couldn't be approved.

We have a group in this area called "It's Up to San Diego." I find that a really positive movement that I would never have believed could be possible in this [conservative] town even a few years ago.

He suggested this group might have ideas to implement such a forum. Group therapy can be an alternative to one on one, though I believe I need the tdoc sessions and I think all of us do. So good luck and I hope the above suggestions help. BTW, NAMI has a story on their home page right now titled, "Hi Mom, my psychiatrist wants to speak with you."
clare_hart

by Mocha » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:07 pm

Bun, I swear I had already posted these two links for you, but evidently I was having a stoner moment... :roll: .....

As clare mentioned NAMI:
here's the link for help with support groups and also a 1(800) #.

National Alliance for the Mentally Ill

And DBSA..........Depresion And Bipolar Support Alliance

DBSA Chapters/Support Groups

Both these organizations are very well known and very credible....we highly recommend them.
Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by Lovehope » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:06 pm

I don't know where you live but a lot of times there are catholic social services that offer free counseling. Try contacting your county's mental health department. Every county has one (or should). Google search your county and mental health department. Or behavioral health. Call them and tell them your situation. Hopefully they can direct you to some resources.
Lovehope

Return to Insurance Issues