Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Disability

Do you have it and does it cover your needs?

by mcampbell » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:53 am

Hey,

The last doctor I had when I was in the hospital recommended applying for disability. I am trying to work one more time before I do something like that, but I was going to see if anyone here has gone through the process of getting disability. If so, how long did it take, and do you have any tips?

Thanks!!
mcampbell

by SlyPixie » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:42 am

See if you can get the reccomendation in writing. I'm on disability, you're going to have to recall all dr appointments and hospitalizations. It took me ~8 months. Good luck!
Not all who wander are lost.

Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean that it's not there.
SlyPixie

by mcampbell » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:11 am

Were you denied at first and had to appeal?
mcampbell

by SlyPixie » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:44 am

No, I got lucky and I got approved on my first go around.

SlyPixie

by mcampbell » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:08 am

May I ask how long you were diagnosed Bipolar before you applied?
mcampbell

by SlyPixie » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:15 am

I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in my teen years and I didn't apply for disability until I was in my 20s so about six years or so... during this time I was on and off my medication and in and out of the hospital.

SlyPixie

by mcampbell » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:11 pm

OK, I was just curious. I've only been recently diagnosed, but I've had the symptoms since my teen years.
mcampbell

by hasupanda » Tue May 16, 2017 9:21 pm

I was actually going to ask about the same thing and then saw your post.

I am newly diagnosed so I don't have a lot of paperwork yet. But my anxiety has gotten so bad that working isn't a reality for me at this point and I don't know whether or not I'll stabilize enough to work any time soon. I am in the process of applying for Long Term Disability which I had through work, but that is generally only for a few months. I'm worried because my only training is in retail and my social anxiety is horrible. I barely leave the house.

The idea of applying for disability is daunting to say the least. I've heard that most people get denied at least the first time and that a lot of people have to get a lawyer. I'd take any advice I can get as well. I'm not the type of person to take advantage of things, but I have been the main earner in my house and I'm worried about what's going to happen if I can't work.

Best of luck to you too mcampbell <3
“When the Japanese mend broken objects, they aggrandize the damage by filling the cracks with gold. They believe that when something's suffered damage and has a history it becomes more beautiful.”
hasupanda

by Soldrae » Wed May 17, 2017 1:33 pm

Hello,

I was ridiculously lucky and got approved for SSD on my first attempt. It took roughly 4 months to get approved, and they retro your pay from the date of application (so I got a lump sum of monthly payments for my first payment going back about 5 months). I didn't have a bipolar diagnosis at the time; my official dx was MDD, PTSD and anxiety disorder with agoraphobia. I don't think a bipolar diagnosis would have changed anything. I also didn't have a long history of psychiatric treatment at the time, but my tdoc advocated for me which helped. I was prepared to get a disability lawyer if needed.

Hasupanda, from all you've mentioned I would suggest going to the social security website (I believe it's ssa.gov) and applying through there. Your work history should qualify you for SSD, which accepts online applications. If for some reason you need to apply for SSI, they require in person or printed by mail applications. It's a daunting process, but the sooner you get the ball rolling the better. That retro payment is a boon.

Good luck to you!
Soldrae

Return to Insurance Issues