Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

How old were you when correctly dx'd?

If you have any questions about living with Bipolar Disorder, we'll do our best to answer and share our experiences. Are you worried about symptoms? When to call your pdoc/tdoc? Whatever your concern....Ask Away!

by Mocha » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:49 pm

I know many of us have mentioned this here and there in other posts, but I don't think we've had a thread on the subject.

I was finally correctly dx'd at 40yo.

What about you?

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by Spm24 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:51 pm

I was dx'd at age 42....
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by Duckysmom » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:19 pm

At age 43 after years of hell of misdiagnosis.
"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

by Dubious66 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:03 pm

Still waiting. ;). BP 1 at 40. Pretty typical path. I went for help when depressed. When up, I avoided, plus I was able to talk myself out of legal trouble, was usually ridiculously productive, and spent time far from family and friends and out of the country. So assuming the diagnosis is right, I played a pretty significant role in the delay.

Ever dubious...
Dubious66

by Jemane » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:23 pm

I was 34 or 35. Was diagnosed with depression first for one year but I think my pdoc was actually quite good at picking up the signs.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Jemane

by hal » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:40 pm

At 24 I had a manic episode which was misdiagnosed; correctly diagnosed at 34.
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

by shandi » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:05 pm

was correctly diagnosed this year at 23
i think a very difficult thing to do is accepting that i cant promise everyone that unwell behaviors would never occur again
shandi

by Pancake » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:06 pm

Duckysmom wrote:At age 43 after years of hell of misdiagnosis.

About the same.
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by Steponme » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:14 pm

Diagnosed with BP1 last year at the age of 18.
Don't let your rubber ducky convince you that the world is an illusion after spilling pickle juice in you car while speeding down the highway trying to catch up to a pack of cows.
Steponme

by AvantGarde » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:36 pm

I was 29 when I got the BP dx. (just short of half a year ago).

The other comorbid dxs are now invalid, waiting for new tdoc's assessment, she thinks I don't meet the criteria for all of those diagnosis. We'll see. So, the term "correctly" doesn't apply to me yet. Again... :?
Genetically evolved chicken at your service &
Shawn's part-time mind disrupter

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Jemane » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:49 pm

That must be so unsettling AG! You get used to your diagnoses and use them as a framework to get well. Hope it's been going ok with the new tdoc.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Jemane

by AvantGarde » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:01 pm

Not really, it's okay really. Just labels, what matters is the symptoms and we will treat them.

Tdoc just thinks that these symptoms can be explained by another stuff, like brain damage from the years of substance abuse or even the trauma. The latter makes more sense, since while dealing with trauma symptoms just got worse, and from yesterday to today anxiety simply vanished for example.

The OCD dx has to have serious life impairment to be diagnosable, I don't have that, it's just annoying sometimes, other times it's not even present. Small obsessions and intrusive thoughts are my symptoms.

The GAD dx, anxiety has to be present all the time. In my case it's not, just when the trauma memories are triggered.

Some docs just simply dx, and she thinks it's easier explained by reactions to all the trauma, since it was from birth until I was 27. And I was only able to talk about my trauma since what, March/April, so...

She doesn't even think I meet all the criteria for CPTSD, now that was the shocker. But she's not sure and doesn't want to be sure with just one appointment.

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Jemane » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:10 pm

Glad you're ok then. It makes sense that those other symptoms are due to the trauma though. This tdoc sounds like she knows what she's talking about.
Jemane

by AvantGarde » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:20 pm

(Sorry to hijack this thread, I promise I'll stop)

Yes, she said what I think too, diagnosis have the value of being either a relief or a pain, and treatment management for pdocs. In the case of my country, where we don't need diagnoses to have or not have health insurance for example, they're really not worth much.

Most docs here treat symptoms, not dxs.

She asked me if being diagnosed is a relief, I told her that going from schizophrenia to bipolar was a relief because I really didn't identify with schizophrenia, and do have intense mood swings. And especially because I did the research on my symptoms on my own and came up with it alone, then my pdoc confirmed, so there was a sense of gratification lol

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Pancake » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:05 am

The OCD dx has to have serious life impairment

Possibly obsessive compulsive personality traits rather than disorder?
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by AvantGarde » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:08 am

Yep. Traits is more likely. Intrusive thoughts of my variety are common in most mental illnesses, and obsessive behavior as a coping mechanism to unwanted thoughts of trauma.

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Mocha » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:42 am

AvantGarde wrote:(Sorry to hijack this thread, I promise I'll stop)

oh please.......that's what we do best around here.....:lol:....

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by AvantGarde » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:44 am

:lol: Well yeah, it is a trademark :lol:

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by gabbee45 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:31 am

I was 35 when I was diagnosed with BP after being treated for depression for years and after having a nervous breakdown. In trying to make my husband happy, I had exhibited some risqué behavior totally unlike myself and thus diagnosed with bipolar.

I suffer more from depression and anxiety than mania but I do have manic episodes.
gabbee45

by Mom2dani » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:10 am

Well the first time I didn't take it seriously because the pdoc really did t explain things to me, I was just probably in denial then friends started saying "you're not bipolar" so I took that and ran with it.

2 weeks ago at age 46 I went to my tdoc because the husband left and I had a breakdown. She said I had characteristics of BP. So after another breakdown I had my sister take me to the ER, was assessed by Behaviora Health, saw a pdoc dx'd BP2. Relief and hope were the first things I felt.
"Today, I will trust this process and this journey that I have undertaken"
Mom2dani

by Stuckles » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:41 am

I keep getting the two dates confused, it was either the Marf's first and then the BP or the other way around which was at 25 and 28. I was diagnosed with major depression before then till my first hospitalization for a break-down/suicidal crisis. The company I worked for back then sent me flowers and I chucked it across the room nearly hitting the nurse :roll: Was very paranoid/delusional and most likely going into psychosis as I thought they were all out to get me.
Stuckles

by AvantGarde » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:45 am

Stuckles, if you were already paranoid and delusional you were already psychotic. :? lol Sorry... the harshness is not directed at you. Psychosis is my pet peeve. Stupid psychosis :evil: ;)

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Stuckles » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:55 am

Lol, thanks for the correction :lol:

Stupid psychosis!
Stuckles

by pmh87 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:22 am

I was diagnosed about a year ago, 29, after I lost everything.
pmh87

by pmh87 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:24 am

Lost everything for about the 3rd time. It's funny how mania ruins everything.
pmh87

Next

Return to General Questions