Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

I need a hobby

If you have any questions about living with Bipolar Disorder, we'll do our best to answer and share our experiences. Are you worried about symptoms? When to call your pdoc/tdoc? Whatever your concern....Ask Away!

by Jemane » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:04 am

I think I must be getting a bit better.
I'm started to feel quite bored. To cope with being depressed I basically stopped doing anything that wasn't work or looking after my family. I've cut back my hours.
I'm spending hours just lying on bed checking social media and sleeping. I'm starting to feel quite bored.
I don't know what to do with the time cause I still don't have a lot of energy.
Thought of doing an oil painting course. I should just read books but I find it takes a lot of energy.
Any ideas? What do you all do when you're bored?
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Jemane

by AvantGarde » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:10 am

I've been thinking of starting a sewing course when things stabilize.

Sorry, not much help I know.

Glad you're feeling better. :)
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes
AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Jemane » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:15 am

Sewing... I have a machine but I'm pretty terrible at it! Would love to learn how to do it one day.
I keep thinking that one day I'll go back and study and do an arts degree for fun majoring in history but I'm not sure if that's just the hypomanic me that wants to do that or whether it's genuinely an option. I mean, would I even cope going back to study given how bad my depression has been.
But maybe I'll get stable and I'll fulfill that dream one day.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Jemane

by Pancake » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:53 am

Crochet!
Lots of good online tutorials and I'll stop talking unless you're interested.

But you know, anything that interests you. There's classes for anything these days. Acting classes, too! :D
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by Jemane » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:29 am

Acting class! That sounds like so much fun. I love that idea. Never thought of doing something like that. I'll do some research.
Jemane

by Pancake » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:39 am

There's a place in Melbourne that does adult ballet, too.

And check out needle felting, it's stabby.
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by AvantGarde » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:10 am

Acting lessons sounds great! And all the others too. :)

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Mom2dani » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:04 am

I've also taken up crocheting again. I'm not making anything in particular just single stitching until I run out of yarn.

Acting class sounds fun!
"Today, I will trust this process and this journey that I have undertaken"
Mom2dani

by dubious66 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:32 am

Jemane wrote:I'm spending hours just lying on bed checking social media and sleeping. I should just read books but I find it takes a lot of energy.
Any ideas? What do you all do when you're bored?

I love my bed when I am low but I also know it's not good for me. Bedding just begets more bedding for me. Hard to find that balance between pushing myself to do and acknowledging/respecting that trying to do too much can also push me further down. Reading takes too much concentration (heck some of the posts on this board would require too much focus and attention when I am really fogged.). Hobby? Those seem to rake talent. ;). I like hiking (By hiking I mean walking, enjoying the scenery.) It doesn't require too much brain power, but does take physical energy. Movement is supposedly good for clearing some of the grey. I don't know...
dubious66

by AvantGarde » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:50 am

Walking does great, it's not as demanding as running and it actually calms the mind. I took a walk around my old neighbourhood today, near the parks and it was great.

Wish I had more nature around. Supposedly a new park opened near my house but I can't seem to find the entrance lol

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Mocha » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:36 am

Good luck on finding a hobby, Jemane.......I'm afraid I won't be of any use to you here, but the others have had some great ideas.

Like Pan said, what interests you. What are your interests? What have you always wanted to do if you had the time? I know you're a fantastic cook. What about cooking classes to learn something new, expand your horizons?

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by Stuckles » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:05 am

Have you tried doing puzzles? I had a phase where I loved doing those huge wall sized puzzles but takes so much space. 3D puzzles are also a lot of fun.
Stuckles

Return to General Questions