Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Over-stimulated?

If you have any questions about living with Bipolar Disorder, we'll do our best to answer and share our experiences. Are you worried about symptoms? When to call your pdoc/tdoc? Whatever your concern....Ask Away!

by Duckysmom » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:10 pm

Just wondering if anyone else gets over-stimulated. Not quite the same as overwhelmed, I don't think. Overwhelmed for me triggers anxiety and irritabiity. I just want the world to stop for 5 iminutes. Don't talk to me, my brain can't take in anymore information let alone have a conversatuon. Don't touch me, don't look at me. Leave me alone. Not in an irritable way, just a tired, can't deal anything more.
I've had three very busy weekends in a row plus work all week and I just want to shut down. Not in a depressed way. Like I said I'm not irritable or angry or anything like that. Not even an isolation thing. My mood is not up or down. The med change seems to be working.
I don't know what to call this. It's like when you're over-tired, but not tired. Just stop the world for a few minutes and let me catch my breath. Bill keeps asking me what's wrong. Nothing is wrong. I just don't feel right. I feel . . . Over-stimulated, emotionally and mentally. Like I need an emtional and mental vacation.
Not sure I'm making sense. But if I am, am I alone in this weirdness?
"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

by hal » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:29 pm

Could it be a mixed episode?
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

by Duckysmom » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:36 pm

Hmm. . . I don't think so. I usually get angry and emotional with mixed episodes. Bad tempered and depressed. Irritable and sad. But maybe, with my med changes this could be a new kind of mixed episode. Something to think about, except thinking almost hurts right now.
"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

by Mocha » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:43 pm

Yes, yes and yes........you're making perfect sense and you're not alone.

I call it the same as you did.......I can get over-stimulated. Jammed up. Like you I can get to the point where I just can't deal with anymore if too much is going on in RL......I react to it differently though....in my case it comes with the pissedoffedness.....and I want to scream at everyone "back off, leave me alone, I can't do anymore!".......

I have to isolate, keep to myself and fortunately I have that luxury. If I can't do that I start to feel cornered.

I have to have time to let my brain rest.....like you I just can't take any more input.

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by Dubious66 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:51 pm

It just sounds like a normal reaction to a pretty busy couple of weeks. Going back to hal's post on M-B, if you have a tendency to even periods of introvertedness, seems justified. Of course, I totally lean I, so I need quiet, me time :)
Dubious66

by Stuckles » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:59 pm

It does seem logical that perhaps, if this is the first time your experiencing this, it might be the med change. From what I understood it was a rather drastic one? Worth mentioning it to your PDoc when you have the energy for it and see what they think about it or whether they may have a answer for it.
Stuckles

by Duckysmom » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:14 pm

Mocha, I think you described it perfectly, except the pissoffness. Just need to shut down for a while. I don't think it's the med changes. They seem to be working. But I haven't had any alone time for 3 weeks.
Dubious, I do tend towards the introvert side. That makes sense.
Feeling less alone in this. Thanks to all of you.
I'm going to bed and meditating. Maybe some meditation and a good night's sleep will help. Bill's watching TV for awhike so I'll get my alone time.
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

by Mocha » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:56 pm

Yep......I have to have my alone time. My peace and quiet. I think it's just my nature to get pissed off about the whole thing....:lol:...

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by AvantGarde » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:53 pm

Yes, I get that way too. I agree it's a reaction to being tired.

Hope you wake up feeling better.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service &
Shawn's part-time mind disrupter

AvantGarde
Site Admin

by pmh87 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:32 am

For me the overstimulation involves anger. I'm rarely ever overstimulated in a "feel good" way.

So what I do is withdraw. I don't know if it's so much me withdrawing as it is ppl generally just keeping their distance from me.
pmh87

by pmh87 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:36 am

I don't have many friends because of this. I'm good at building transient friendships, which last for as long as they can put up with me.

I think it has something to do with blood pressure also. Mine tends to be high, & I'm actually physically fit.
pmh87

by Stuckles » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:06 am

pmh87 wrote:I don't have many friends because of this. I'm good at building transient friendships, which last for as long as they can put up with me.

I think it has something to do with blood pressure also. Mine tends to be high, & I'm actually physically fit.

I know what you mean pmh. The moods being a big part of it, I also can't always keep up with them physically either so my involvement slowly dwindles down to a point where I just loose contact all together. In part I suppose because I don't want to be a "downer" to them and cause them to always have to make arrangements that agree's with my conditions.

My blood pressure gets artificially suppressed to protect my aorta so even when everything else is working well for a change, I tend to not have enough energy.
Stuckles

by pmh87 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:21 am

For me it's not so much the downer aspect of it, it's more so just not wanting to scare people, & feeling like the disorder, especially when you've had psychotic episodes, sort of dileanates you from society at large. You get called crazy, psycho etc. so many times in your life & it just re-affirms what the disorder per se already lets you know: which is that you're not like everybody else.

Self-imposed segregation is a lot easier to deal with than segregation imposed by ppl outside of it. It gives you a degree of control over it.
pmh87

by Stuckles » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:23 am

So true
Stuckles

by Mocha » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:46 am

Back to Ducky.......

Let us know how your day went, ok? I hope you got some sleep last night.....

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by Duckysmom » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:41 pm

I did get sleep last night, but it was broken sleep. Kept waking up. I was so aggitated today, my boss sent me home to work from there. Called my pdoc and he told me to take a benzo and take the rest of the day off. Rest and alone time. I napped, watched TV, relaxed. And I'm starting to feel better. Boss was ok with it. I'll make up my hours during the week.
Oh, and he told me to make sure my weekends don't get so crazyanymore. I need down time. It's just my nature.
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

by Pancake » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:40 pm

Glad you're starting to feel better, but I also think it's awesome that you lasted 3 weeks before hitting a wall. It sounds like have been doing really well recently.
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by Mocha » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:45 pm

As usual, your boss is awesome.... :)

I'm glad you had a chance to come home and chill. It was just what you needed.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by Duckysmom » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:39 pm

Thanks, Pan and Mocha. I have been doing better, so this came as a bit of a shock and I was panicked that I was backsliding. And once again, my boss has been very supportive.

Saw my tdoc tonight. She took it easy on me on light of everything.
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

by hal » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:50 pm

Your boss knows he has a valuable employee and one who can be trusted to get her work done.
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

by Duckysmom » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:00 pm

Thanks, hal. I kinda feel like a burden on him sometimes, but I do get my work done and it's done right and on time. I needed that reminder.

I just got off the phone with him. He told me to work from home tomorrow to keep stress to a minimum and come back to office on Wednesday fresh.
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

by Spm24 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:39 pm

You could hardly ask for anything more from a good boss. He has to value you as a worker....
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by gabbee45 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:08 am

Ducky,

I am so happy that you are doing better. You are really blessed you have such a caring and understanding boss. I also admire you that you can work and hold down a job. I am one that is unable to have a job.
gabbee45

by Mocha » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:41 am

Are you enjoying your day at home, Ducky?

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by Duckysmom » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:31 pm

I had a good day. Thanks, Mocha, for asking. Got a lot done for work and then took a nap. Now to get ready to take my pup for her annual checkup. She's probably not going to be happy with Mommy tonight. Rabies shot to come. Ouch!
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

Next

Return to General Questions