Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Emailing your pdoc

If you have any questions about living with Bipolar Disorder, we'll do our best to answer and share our experiences. Are you worried about symptoms? When to call your pdoc/tdoc? Whatever your concern....Ask Away!

by Redwhitblu » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:42 am

is it customary, or generally ok to email your pdoc outside of a visit? My last dr always told me he would need to see me for an appointment to ever call anything in or change anything. It was rare that I asked otherwise. My current pdoc I have been with a little over a year. Twice, I've emailed her abt something and she seemed totally cool with it, and even called something in for me outside of an actual appointment. But I am wondering if I am being a total pain, or if this is not unusual. Have any of you done this with your pdoc, or is it really not customary?
Redwhitblu

by AvantGarde » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:44 am

It's not really costumary, some pdocs are against it, others don't mind. It's something you should go over with them.

When I'm having a particular bad time, my pdoc calls me. I text her if I need to talk to her, but I don't like doing it.

My old pdoc told me if I had an emergency to go to the ER :lol:
Genetically evolved chicken at your service. Neurons that “fire together, wire together.”

"Let him that would move the world first move himself." Socrates
AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Duckysmom » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:38 am

My doc and tdoc have ER pagers. When I need them, I just page and they call me back almost immediately. If it's serious enough, I use that. If not and I think I can make it until the office is next open, I wait.
"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

by Redwhitblu » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:02 am

Avant, my last pdoc said the same thing! Any time I had a troubling side effect that clearly was directly related to a medication he would always tell me to just go to the ER, or to a general practitioner. He's always make it out like there was something else wrong with me and it wasn't a side effect. Sure enough I'd go to the ER or general practical ER where it would always be confirmed that the medication was the culprit. One time I had a severe allergic reaction and had to be taken off immediately in the ER. I am still paying thousands in hospital bills bc of this. I'm thankful my current dr hears my concerns and doesn't do this.
Redwhitblu

by AvantGarde » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:22 am

What a nightmare!

If this new pdoc gave you their email, I say it's okay to contact them. Make sure you say in the email you're not sure if it's okay and you apologize for intruding.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service. Neurons that “fire together, wire together.”

"Let him that would move the world first move himself." Socrates
AvantGarde
Site Admin

by Mocha » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:20 am

Red, my pdoc's office always has someone on call for medication probs but it's a different type of set up. He's not a private pdoc.
If it was a serious medication side effect, they would send me to the ED. Nothing they could do over the phone. Fortunately I've never had to call.

My tdoc on the other hand is a different story. I can email, text or call anytime I need to. But I usually don't...........I think I've done it one time when I was truly freaking out. I already see him twice a week. I figure it can wait......:lol:

But that's just me....... :)

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King~
Mocha
Site Admin

by Moodylessa » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:37 am

It's strange for me to comprehend a doctor talking to you on the phone. I don't know if other Canadians face this, but generally you talk to a receptionist/nurse they relay the message and get back to you. The doctor doesn't give you any other contact method!

However, if your doctor does, then go for it. You can clarify in the email or in person how they prefer you contacting them should you need to.
Ballad of Serenity
"Take my love, take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sky from me
Take me out to the black
Tell them I ain't coming back
Burn the land and boil the sea
You can't take the sky from me

There's no place I can be
Since I've found Serenity
But you can't take the sky from me
"
-Joss Whedon
Moodylessa

by hal » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:10 pm

Moodylessa wrote:It's strange for me to comprehend a doctor talking to you on the phone. I don't know if other Canadians face this, but generally you talk to a receptionist/nurse they relay the message and get back to you. The doctor doesn't give you any other contact method!
That's how it works with me, at least during the day. I know that he will always call back about 5:00 the same day. Once I called in the middle of the night and talked to the pdoc on call.
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

by Tigger » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:41 pm

We regularly email our son's pdocs (he has two. one is for meds, the other functions as a therapist) with ongoing updates because we don't meet with them, he does.

I would just ask, is this okay? Also, how long inbetween your appointments?
_______

Mom to 12 year old boy with bipolar
Tigger

by Tigger » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:43 pm

Also, we update on his reactions to medicine or if we are having issues with insurance and medications. It's totally normal and frankly, it would be a pain if they weren't' on email with us.

That said, MY pdoc doesn't do email. He's probably 80 and probably doesn't have email. But I call him whenever I need to and leave a message-he calls me right back.
_______

Mom to 12 year old boy with bipolar
Tigger

Return to General Questions