Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Certain music?

What are your triggers? People, places, smells, or sounds? Have you learned how to set your boundaries? Or do you know what your boundaries are?

by Synny » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:14 pm

I'm sure certain song's really mess with a person, I don't know why, but the song everybody's fool by Evanescence. It sets me off bad and i'm not exactly sure why. It puts me into a deep depression and i feel like i'm this huge annoyance and people are making fun of me behind my back. I've tried more than once to listen to the song, but i got the same results. A few other songs do the same thing, but not as bad as this song. Has anyone had the same issue?
I want to go where everyone goes,
I want to know what everyone else knows,
I want to go where everyone feels the same.
Synny

by AvantGarde » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:51 pm

Not me but someone I knew yeaaars back, Beethoven's 9th triggered a number of weird emotions. He said it was because of Clockwork Orange, but I don't think he had a mental illness.

In me, I find that sometimes I just can't hear music.. either because I'm down and it will further my mood, or because of lyrics triggering ptsd, etc.

Music is very powerful, I really don't think it's because of mental illness per se, but because of mental illness we become more sensitive to it.

Best to do is not listen to that particular song :)
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by Synny » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:56 pm

Oh wow Beethoven's 9th Symphony? I was told by my best friend to not listen to it anymore, but sometimes i try to see if i can which turns into a big disaster. I actually have 2 playlists on spotify one says Bipolar highs and the other one is Bipolar lows. I know i shouldn't make one for the lows but it helps me in all honesty.
Synny

by AvantGarde » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:02 pm

Yep, 9th symphony.

Can you mix it up a bit on the playlists? Maybe put some happy songs on the low mood on and some sad songs on the up mood one? It's a simple trick that helps me calm down or perk up sometimes, it doesn't work everytime though.. sometimes I just skip them lol

Hey, just a side note, it's all good on putting italics really, but it gets a bit hard to read a whole paragraph of it ... Just me saying as reader, not mod. If you want to keep it up you can, of course :)

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by Spm24 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:13 am

At times it depends on what mood I am in as to what types of music I can listen to.

As AG said we seem to be sensitive to music on a normal basis. Just think about you being happy from a certain song or sad from another song. Everyone has this happen not just people with a MI...

Don't listen to that song if it sends you down. Of course you want to see if it does but if it always does it's better of not doing so.
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by Synny » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:04 pm

Okies I'll make sure to not do italics i didn't realize it would be difficult to read *Facepalms* Sorry about that lol. I usually just have the songs for bipolar lows sorta angry songs to make me cry. It sounds weird and hard to explain but it helps me in a way. I don't know why i listen to the song by evanescence, i guess i want to overcome being triggered by it, but so far its not working. :(
Synny

by AvantGarde » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:28 pm

How are you doing with a search for a therapist? They usually have tricks up their sleeves for us to be able to handle triggers.

(and thank you, and no problem :lol:)

AvantGarde

by Mocha » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:46 am

Synny, I'm with Shawn.......if you know it's going to trigger you, just don't listen to it. You already know it's a trigger for you and maybe you should avoid it.

I have many things that trigger me, and I avoid them. I see no point in setting myself off when I can help it. Music or otherwise. Why put yourself through it?

Music that triggers me are classical and techno.......drives me up the wall......(sorry, shawn..... :twisted: )

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Mocha
Site Admin

by AvantGarde » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:10 am

Synny, how have you been doing with the holidays lately?

Edit.. Shit, forgot I had already answered this post :lol: :lol: Lots of questions.. I'm sorry

AvantGarde

by Mom2dani » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:27 am

Music triggers me big time. So I’ve found, listening to 80s (Depeche Mode, the Cure and Beastie Boys) tend to not. It’s my go to in the morning, try to set my day straight.

I love the idea of creating a playlist for days when the mood is low.
"Today, I will trust this process and this journey that I have undertaken"
Mom2dani

by Synny » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:32 pm

AvantGarde wrote:Synny, how have you been doing with the holidays lately?

Edit.. Shit, forgot I had already answered this post :lol: :lol: Lots of questions.. I'm sorry

well my birthday was yesterday (the 15th) and i'm a bit upset with my biological father. Once again this year, he failed to call me on my birthday but i did on his for the last couple of years. Granted we have only known each other since my daughter was 2 (she's 5 now) i feel like he's just the type who throws money to you, and it irritates me. My stepdad (the one with leukemia) has been there since the day i was born. anyway I'm looking forward to christmas this year, going to be spending it with my mom and dad. (sorry wasn't trying to write a long post. )
Synny

by AvantGarde » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:09 pm

Your post really isn't long, you should see stuff we write on a daily basis over here :shock:.

I'm sorry about your bio dad..

AvantGarde

Return to Triggers and Boundaries