Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

uncontrollable triggers

What are your triggers? People, places, smells, or sounds? Have you learned how to set your boundaries? Or do you know what your boundaries are?

by milk » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:09 pm

so tomorrow i'm driving 2/3 hours out of my city to send my sister off to college. i'm scared because she's been such a big support for me emotionally; making me laugh when i'm down, taking me on drives when my mom is too much, understanding me like no one else does. i think this will be a big trigger for me considering how much i depend on her. maybe i'm overthinking it but i'm terrified how this might turn into a really bad downswing. especially when i'm at my mom's house and she's not there to help me when my mom breaks down. i guess i think i'm being abandoned. i can see this is ridiculous but i can't help it. this is such a big change and big changes are never good for me. what do you do when you can see a trigger coming but you can't do anything about it? how am i gonna handle myself alone when she's gone? just feeling really lost about this.
milk

by AvantGarde » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:39 pm

At one point in our lives, we do realize we need to handle our stuff alone. It might happen that we meet a friend or a girl/boyfriend that can help us through the motions, but we continue to handle it alone. That's basically why we come here, for support, to help each other through the motions, knowing what the other is going through because we've been there or just because we empathize with the person.

Your sister is not abandoning you, she has to live her life. And you are starting to grow up too, learning how to handle your BP and you life. You're doing an amazing job, so don't sell yourself short :)

You can always count on us and of course, call your sister.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

Return to Triggers and Boundaries