Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Stress management

What are your triggers? People, places, smells, or sounds? Have you learned how to set your boundaries? Or do you know what your boundaries are?

by AvantGarde » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:11 am

We all have triggers and boundaries in place to deflect those triggers, but some of us struggle more than others with the most triggering trigger of all, stress.

I've been having pretty lousy months and forcing triggers in trauma therapy hasn't exactly been helping. I've been trying to learn new coping skills with the therapy I'm doing and they do work, and I would like to read what are your learned coping mechanisms for stress management.

Mine is self reflection, being an observer of my thoughts and emotions instead of being emeshed with them, I can lay down for 5 minutes do a few exercises my tdoc taught me and stress is greatly reduced, making me able to handle "it". It's a form of mindfulness, really. I've been studying other methods but they don't seem to work so well with me, would like to hear more about yours.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by Stuckles » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:35 am

I used to be pretty good at compartmentalization, in that I would step back and recognize what I have control over and what I don't so I can focus on the things that I can change at that point in time but that ability got 'burnt out' so to speak and doesn't come natural anymore.

What works for me now, is to lay down, relax and just count my breaths to break the cycle of my mind being preoccupied with something I have no control over. If I don't it just creates a feedback loop that spirals into anxiety and racing thoughts.
Stuckles

by AvantGarde » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:41 am

That is great insight put into words, Stuckles, I too was good at compartimentalization. Thanks :) Sounds good what you do.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

Return to Triggers and Boundaries