Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Boundaries

What are your triggers? People, places, smells, or sounds? Have you learned how to set your boundaries? Or do you know what your boundaries are?

by TWG74 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:53 am

Do you feel that being bipolar affects your boundaries with others? For example, in the past when I've been more depressed/anxious I would tend to be more aware of others' moods and behaviors and allowed myself to be taken advantage of simply because I didn't want to "rock the boat" or make anyone mad or upset. Conversely, when I've been manic I'm drawn to wild, fun, outgoing people who have pulled me into situations I normally would never try or do. Hmm, but then again maybe that's the mania in me coming out and I'm just blaming it on others.

I'm getting better at having boundaries, part of that is through therapy I've had in the past and also the support of loving friends and just reading self-help books. When I need my space, I'm learning to say not to people. Saying no has been a huge issue for me in my life. (Even saying no to myself.) Anyway, just curious if anyone else has dealt with the same things. I'm sure you have, so let's talk about it. :D
TWG74

by Pancake » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:25 am

Not so much specific boundary related, sticking up for myself has become really important for me. Trying to do everything for everyone is exhausting, and I had to learn to say no and put my health first.
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by Spm24 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:16 pm

Having boundaries is a thing that we all need. I have always been the one who did things for others. If I could do it somehow I would do it. I have always had issues with boundaries. Hence the reason my relationships are limited... Finding the proper balance is something I am trying to work on.
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by AvantGarde » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:10 pm

Yep. One of my biggest issues, I'm better now but it's still hard, drains a lot of energy and I still end up ruminating over it :?
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by Mocha » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:00 am

I don't think having bipolar has anything to do with being able to set boundaries. jmo. I come from a very strong family who never had a problem for standing up for ourselves. We had to be ......it was a matter of survival....If we didn't, for sure no one else would stand up for us.

I'm very protective of my boundaries and dare anyone to cross them.

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Mocha
Site Admin

by Stuckles » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:55 am

I'm a recovering "serial people pleaser" :cry: Funny enough, I learned to start saying No thanks to a Bipolar rage outburst that landed me with a dissiplinary hearing. The problem with being Bipolar and being too caring is the ONE day that they rub you the wrong way the flip side is so out of character and so unexpected that you scare the living daylights out of them :?
Stuckles

Return to Triggers and Boundaries