Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Seasonal triggers

What are your triggers? People, places, smells, or sounds? Have you learned how to set your boundaries? Or do you know what your boundaries are?

by Reno » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:48 am

I am manic with no depression. My season downfalls are the start of spring until early summer. Then fall into December. All manic all dealing with my attitude towards others and the backlash. How does one get through these times. I am medicated. I see a therapist as well as a psychiatrist. I also will be attending my first bi polar support meeting in my area. Thxs for any replis
Reno

by AvantGarde » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:51 am

You're doing the right things, sometimes this illness just sucks and won't leave us alone...

What do your doctors say about this? Have you discussed how to deal with the triggers with your tdoc (therapist)?
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by Spm24 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:03 am

I agree with AG. Your doing the right things

Not much I can say on it since I don't go manic very often I'm more on the depressive side of things...
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

by Reno » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:50 am

My therapist gives me tools to work on going into and coming out if these cycles. My doctor has not changed any meds due to what I am on seems to work for the most part. At this point I often wonder is it even possible to prevent seasonal swings or just control them as much as possible. One suggestion was something as simple as counting. That did not work. I seem to ruin a lot of holidays due to the manic swings. I am very bitter with my words and tbh it will be days or a week without even coming out and feeling remorse
Reno

by AvantGarde » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:53 am

What meds are you on? I'm a rapid cycler, so I can go through hypomania and depression in a day, in a week, in a month or years. Depends :\ What I found works is tweeking the meds when I feel a trigger coming. Upping the dosage a bit before it happens usually mellows it out.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by Duckysmom » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:40 am

Have you talked to your pdoc anout adjusting your meds just during those periods of time that you are more vulnerable to episodes. My pdoc does that for me, also trusts my judgement on titrating my meds myself if I feel an episode coming on. I don't change meds. I just adjust doses the way he tells me to. Usually, that nips it in the bud right away. My worst time is winter.
"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

by Mocha » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:30 am

Reno wrote: One suggestion was something as simple as counting. That did not work.

what did they mean by 'counting'? Was this tdoc's idea? That's a new one on me.
How was that supposed to work?

I seem to ruin a lot of holidays due to the manic swings. I am very bitter with my words and tbh it will be days or a week without even coming out and feeling remorse

We've all been there.

You said you're on meds, which seem to work ok except for these times.
But here's the deal for many of us. When we start to flip out during those times, it's not uncommon for our pdocs to increase our meds a little to cover the bases. Mine always does. Then when the mania periods seems to pass, we go back to our regular dose. It's a pretty common practice. Or they add a temporary med to help us during that time.

I'm really surprised your pdoc hasn't done this already. What meds are you on?

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Mocha
Site Admin

by Reno » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:23 am

Thx for the replies. The counting method was told to me by my therapist I see. It just kinda seems silly. Now my pdoc and I have a good relationship and I have been seeing her for over 9 years. Problem is I have a problem telling her how I feel on certain meds because I think I know my body better and sometimes I think she feels the other way. I am taking depakote, 2000 mg extended release. Valium 4 tabs a day at a half a milligram, vistaril. There are two meds that I have weened myself off because of the side effects. One is Fanapt which had sexual side effects and the other serequell. The weight gain and being like a zombie I could not take. What other benzo can I possibly consult with her to factor in that might help. Sometimes I don't tell her everything because I feel like she looks at me like she is my mom and it can be irritating considering I am 45. Appreciate any response
Reno

by Mocha » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:00 pm

Reno wrote:Thx for the replies. The counting method was told to me by my therapist I see. It just kinda seems silly.

Reno......please tell me about this counting method......now you have my curiosity going......nothing is too silly for us.....we've heard most everything.... :)

About not telling pdoc how you feel. You need to be honest or she won't know how to treat you. Does she know you dc'd Seroquel and Fanapt? I agree she should respect you when you try to tell her how you feel.

About another benzo.....from my experience, most docs don't like to and won't Rx another benzo if you're already taking one. But there are other meds that treat the mania side of things, like mood stablizers. Like Tegretol, Lithium, etc. Maybe you could talk to her about those.

How old is your doc? You mentioned she treats you like a child and you're 43. Does she specialize in BP? And maybe you should tell her you feel like she talks to you like a child, and it upsets you. Honesty is the best way to go.

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Mocha
Site Admin

Return to Triggers and Boundaries