Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Sounds As Triggers

What are your triggers? People, places, smells, or sounds? Have you learned how to set your boundaries? Or do you know what your boundaries are?

by Archangel » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:55 pm

My worse trigger now is loud low bass. From neighbors music, passing cars, with the bass blasting so load, it rattles their whole car and my whole house.....So I had to buy a $300.00 pair of BOSE noise canceling headphones. I haven't got em yet, but I am real anxious to try them. Every time I hear a loud bass, I get angry and nervous, and I want to slap the person responsible. Hope the BOSE does the job. Its when I am trying to relax or sleep, that it bothers me most. I wish I could live in the mountains away from all the grueling din.
Archangel

by Duckysmom » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:05 pm

Noise is a big one for me also. Ticking clocks, the sounds of people eating, loud TVs - things I live with every day. The Grandfather clockgoing of on the quarter hour nearly drove me insane so my boyfriend stopped it. I have earplugs and I tend to hide myself away when it's at its worst - if I am the slightest bit manic. Heightened, over sensitive senses seem to come with the territory for me. I wear headphones at work with music I can tolerate playing. Even certain smells can send me off on a rage when manic.

Guess I'm saying that I can totally relate to this one.
"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

by Pancake » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:52 am

Yeahp too much noise overstimulates me. My pet hate is shopping centres, noise and fluorescent lighting. *gag*
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by squarepeg » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:33 am

The more I am on here the more I learn I am normal with Bipolar lol. Noise drives me nuts. I can't stand news over and over. I am trying meditation using the TV for the noise and when flutes play I literally have turn channel. When I am normal I want quite when I am manic I need tv on 24/7 just not news especially like in the debates they were arguing I just cannot tolerate it. Thanks so much for bringing clarity to my life with one post at a time.
squarepeg

by Mocha » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:54 am

my tv is always going, usually CNN. ....usually music too, just depends on the kind of music. Like one of you said, I can't stand the deep bass. And just depends on my mood as to what type of music I listen to.

Occasionally our electric goes out and it drives me nuts. I can't stand total quiet. And I sleep with a couple of fans going all night. Usually tv too. Neighbor has his music going all night too........just as long he doesn't play techno/club music, I'm cool with it. .....fucking techno..... :shock:

But .....there is a sound that triggers my PTSD.......gunfire.....even a car backfiring. I hit the deck no matter where I am. It can trigger me for days and make me hypervigilant for quite some time.
Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Mocha
Site Admin

by lisastout » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:19 pm

I don't think it's odd at all! I've self diagnosed myself as having misophonia. Ever since I was a child, I've hated all sorts of sounds: Eating, chewing, slurping, sniffling, loud breathing, clanking of utensils on a plate, potato chip bags crinkling - all sorts of things like this can literally enrage me. It seems much worse when I am manic. I try hard to ignore it, but so many times I have gone off on someone for something as little as popping their gum and people get mad at me. If my husband is sitting next to me and chomping on some popcorn or something, I usually put in earbuds and listen to music...her rolls his eyes, lol.

@Mocha - backfires and gunshots have a similar effect for me too. Also balloons being popped. All of those sounds startle me terribly. My family has actually gotten conscientious of it and try to prevent balloons popping at their kids birthday parties.
Lisa
"I can't explain or justify what's in my mind or why I cry"
lisastout

by brandi819 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:18 pm

OMG, I thought I was crazy or just being a bitch! LOL When I'm in large crowds and everyone is talking loudly, the tv up too loud, or when Mommy is on the phone talking (she talks incredibly LOUD) and when she laughs, it just gets under my skin. Now I've gotten to the point where I put on my beats and crank my music up to drown her out. Even my step dad practically screams when he talks. It's way too easy to get triggered in my house.
brandi819

by Irishgirl » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:20 pm

Well, don't I feel "normal" now?
LOL
I can't stand the crackling when a person open a candy wrapper or someone eating popcorn from the bag. Movie theaters?the worst.
I bite my tongue when my husband starts eating our of the bag. It's hell.
Silence is so uncomfortable.
Irishgirl

by Lulu25 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:56 pm

Oh I thought I was just a bitch too! lol and OMG I absolutely cant handle balloons popping either! I have no idea why it gets to me, but it is pretty serious for me. I get anxiety and I will have to leave the room if anyone is even messing around with a balloon. I also dislike silence unless I am trying to sleep. But if i'm home the tv has to be on or music has to be playing. It is very uncomfortable to me as well. People talking extremely loud really gets my anxiety going. I will lose focus and I swear it's like I can't even function. Especially if they are on the phone and I lose my shit if they have their speaker on while talking to someone! Seriously, it will trigger a rage for me. I have to remove myself from the room or i'm not sure what will happen. I'm not sure if it's anxiety, the BP, or some other issue I have not been diagnosed with yet,
She is a soldier in the war against herself...
Lulu25

by Irishgirl » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:26 am

Holy cow! My aversion to speaker phones is not unique. I have to talk to patients every day. When they put me on speaker I say "Oh,are we on speaker? Warning, when I am on the speaker, I feel you can't hear new so I'll probably talk really loud"
It works mostly. Then I spend my day trying to work the feeling out of me by bitching about it to all my associates.
Irishgirl

by Lulu25 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:32 pm

Irish, I completely 100% understand. I don't mindo if someone puts me know speaker. But if you are having a conversation on speaker phone near me it will trigger me. Idk how to explain it. I lose myself, my mind goes haywire and my blood boils. I will start breathing hard, I'll fidget or bounce my legs rapidly, I tend to tap my fingers very rapidly when I get to much anxiety, I can't think straight, I go straight coo coo. Lol
She is a soldier in the war against herself...
Lulu25

by Irishgirl » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:02 am

I think we need to outlaw speaker phones ;)
Irishgirl

by RonS » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:27 am

For me it is voices. I can handle 2-3 people talking around me if the space is reasonably large but if the number in the room goes up I start to lose it. A crowded room with a lot of people talking just shuts me down, I have to get away no matter what it takes.
RonS

by Maxamilene » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:13 am

This place makes me feel normal !!! If my mood is up I'm already irritable as hell then noise from different directions or someone talking over music, loud noise crowds sends me completely nuts. I get the worst headaches and just have to get somewhere quiet or stick in headphones and play music that calms me down.
"Now I am quietly waiting for
the catastrophe of my personality
to seem beautiful again,
and interesting, and modern."
"
Maxamilene

by Redwhitblu » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:20 pm

Diddo. My husband calls me "the volume nazi", which is actually quite cruel if he really could understand it's just part of my illness.
Redwhitblu

by Jinxiej68 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:56 am

WOW! OMG! I have found my people! O yes! I have BP2 just diag'd a couple of yrs ago. But since about 11 yoa I had to start eating by myself. HATE going to movies bc of the sound of ppl eating. Had to walk out of a test bc of a girl popping her gum. I want to take flip flops off the persons feet and slap them with them. Loud sounds don't bother me too much; just the tiny, small ones that most ppl don't seem to care about. I work from home now and that is a blessing. But my precious husband has mild Tourette syndrome and sniffs. My meds help!
---
Character is proven by what is done when you THINK no one is watching.
Character is proven by what is done when you THINK no one is watching.
Jinxiej68

by Mocha » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:41 am

Re: speaker phones........if someone calls me and I can tell they're on a speaker phone, I straight up ask them to get off it...lol.....I refuse to talk on it. No one seems to mind. I think they know me better...... :twisted:

I also hate to hear folks walking around stores talking on their cell phones/speaker or not, like the whole world gives a shit about their convo. Sometimes it's about what their wife wants to bring home for dinner,etc.........I want to scream, "Shut the fuck up.....make a fucking list before you go to the store...... :evil: " No one wants to hear it asshole".....One day I'll probably do it....... :lol: .... :twisted:

I also hate folks who smack/chew with their mouth open.......omfg!!!...... :shock: ..
Didn't anyone teach them any manners?.....speaking of manners......didn't anyone teach them any table manners? Drives me up the wall....arrggh!

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Mocha
Site Admin

Return to Triggers and Boundaries