Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

The Elephant in the Room - Current Events

The Latest Controversies.

by Mocha » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:29 pm

I know this is a very sensitive subject for many of you.......as such I don't want to go into great detail about anything going on in the world. I know it's too hard for many of you to discuss.

We all know our world has changed drastically, but my question for you is.......are you able to discuss current events, or do you have to turn away, and ignore it for you own peace of mind.

I have many friends who just can't deal with with what's going on. I'm just the opposite along with many of my other friends. We have discussions about what their world will be in the future. I want to be aware, I feel I must be aware of what's going on in our world. I feel I must be informed. But that's just me.

What about you? How do you cope with what's going on in the world today?

Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Mocha
Site Admin

by clare_hart » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:03 pm

I get email from (too many) organizations, even if they're some I'd like to support. They all ask for money. :shock:

I give what my budget will allow. Grassroots movements are sometimes all the middle class can do. From my POV. The bankrolls of grassroots money can't compare to the 1%

Anyway, I have only a couple people who care to discuss politics. It's so easy to look the other way. I have unsubscribed to many of these org's as my inbox is deluged daily. I seriously wish I could look away. Well, in some cases I do.

Then there are the others who prefer FB to the news or trolling for cute vids about funny dogs. I understand their POV, but in my mind they are ignoring the world.

Come October '16, I will have to sign up to do phone calls or walk an area. In the elections to come, everybody seems focused on the presidential race but forgetting the house and the senate seats. I'm one of the 99% . . .

I wish there were more people I could get into lively debate with.
clare_hart

by Pancake » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:32 am

Mocha
I am a bit of a yo-yo. I shut it out when I have to and try to focus on the fact that for every gamergating troll there is an equivalent somebody out there with balanced intelligence, and/or doing whatever they can to make a difference. I can't do it all the time, but I do help where and with what I can. I DO have to be very careful not to overcommit, of course (:

Currently helping with a work (Union, not employer-arranged) support group for mental health issues as we have an extremely high suicide rate. So far I'm the only one without PTSD involved, hopefully that will change as people feel safer. I create, I make warm items for homeless people, and try to ignore the nitwits who think their right to an Internet opinion equates to a right to their own facts.

Clare I was involved in our last elections door knocking, leaflets, voting centres. I'm in Australia, and while our federal conservatives are a bit extreme, my state's are quite moderate, and we still managed to make a significant difference in voting. All grassroots, social and fun.

The former one-term government wrote a report on what went wrong. Rather than focus on their own inadequacy it was more about who to blame and whether certain groups of people should be prevented by law from participating in election campaigns...
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by Mocha » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:27 am

clare_hart wrote:I wish there were more people I could get into lively debate with.

Definitely.....I'm lucky that way. And no way in hell would I have those types of discussions online....oh god no..... :shock: I have too many intelligent RL friends (my brilliant millenials) who can carry on those types of conversations....And we love talking about the state of the world...not just politics.

Although the current Presidental Election in the US is a f'ing joke and an embarrassment. (And I think you know who I mean.).... Omg.....I've lived through 10 elections/Presidents in my lifetime, and I've never, ever seen anything like this. I swear if it turns out as badly as I'm afraid it will, many of us are talking about moving to Canada...... :lol: That's how seriously we're taking it.

Pancake wrote:The former one-term government wrote a report on what went wrong. Rather than focus on their own inadequacy it was more about who to blame and whether certain groups of people should be prevented by law from participating in election campaigns...

Pancake, that's just awful!.....jeeze......man, talking about going back in the day. I wonder how they determined which groups of people would be prevented by law from participating in campaigns. I see that you said it was a "ONE TERM government, so I assume that didn't last very long....lol.....What idiots.

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

Mocha
Site Admin

by Babaramram » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:15 am

Mocha, I believe the reason the "elephant in the room" is not discussed is that waking the elephant with discussion most often causes him/her to begin to step on toes or worse.

Many folks have taken their political and societal beliefs as an identity and feel personally threatened by differing opinions. Just take a look at college campuses these days that have a "safe room" for students who don't want their feelings hurt by differing opinions. Some groups yell and scream about diversity except for allowing those who disagree with them on the issues to have a voice. (I read something like that right here on this thread.)

Like you Mocha I stay very current on events. I have all my life. I consider myself more informed than the vast majority of the public, I am a student of history and a voracious reader.

I mentioned earlier that I used to post on political sites on-line. I received thousands of up-votes for my posts as well as the most hateful, adolescent vitriol in comments back to me, especially from those representing the party of tolerance.

I will say though that both sides dish it out pretty well but one party tends to be over the top with personal slander and misogynistic insult (many of them thought I was a woman named "Barbara") than the other is.

I am very able to have a discussion with reasonable people with differing views but I am always aware to stop the conversation when I encounter personal resistance that causes defensiveness.

This happens during one of the ways I make cash, driving wealthy people (the 1%) to the airport and back in their cars. Most of them would identify as Democrats here in the States. Some are quite proud of their "liberalism" as they jet off to exotic destinations for fun and leisure. These folks are so removed from what life is like for the rest of us in the world. Their world is their circle of friends who are in lockstep with the talking points. It is like the NY socialite who could not believe Nixon was elected president, she remarked "Nobody I know voted for him."

Yes, the world is in a surreal state these days. When the weather is deemed more important to the survival of our way of life than is the clear and present danger of Islamic Extremism (a phrase our dear leader refuses to even acknowledge) then we have indeed gone quite a distance down the rabbit hole.

In the fourth quarter of the 49er game this Sunday a defensive player on the Niners went unblocked to sack the quarterback with a perfect tackle, chest to chest right down to the ground.

A penalty was called, roughing the passer. Instead of giving the Niners the advantage because of this great play, the opposition was given 10 yards gain and a new set of downs. Most likely changed the outcome of the game.

Up until this year the play would have been celebrated and the Niners would have had the chance to get the ball back and maybe win the game. But now, with the hyper concern about concussions, the game officials are being overly protective and giving penalties for play that is obviously not a penalty resulting in a most surreal situation reflecting the state of the world today.

Another hindrance to having an intelligent discussion is there is much disinformation out there that is repeated as fact. Lies and spin distort what is really going on. As mere spectators to the madness all we can do is sort through the deluge of information and make a determination as to what is true or not and what makes common sense. We have no real say in the matter.

As a metaphysical observer, I consider all this as a spectator sport, same as football but with far more serious repercussions. I am perfectly willing to have a discussion about politics and world affairs and as well, I know when to stop when it becomes personal, is it often does.
Babaramram

by Mocha » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:35 am

Babaramram wrote:Mocha, I believe the reason the "elephant in the room" is not discussed is that waking the elephant with discussion most often causes him/her to begin to step on toes or worse.

You're right, Babaramram. I've thought about starting this thread for several weeks now.....And yes, admittedly I didn't know if it was a good idea for the very reasons you mentioned. But with everything going on in the world, I thought, why not? And I also trust our members to be respectful of each other while expressing their views and opinions.

Babaramram wrote:Yes, the world is in a surreal state these days. When the weather is deemed more important to the survival of our way of life than is the clear and present danger of Islamic Extremism (a phrase our dear leader refuses to even acknowledge) then we have indeed gone quite a distance down the rabbit hole.

While I do believe climate change is the greatest environmental threat of our time, I also agree with you.........nothing is more important than the clear and present danger of Islamic Extremism. There's absolutely NO way to hide from it. IS, Isil and Isis. From the moment of the Paris Attacks, our world changed forever. Along with the bomb on the Russian airliner, the suicide bomber in Beirut, and on and on. This is our new normal....our children's new normal.....and our grand-children's new normal.

Funny, how we forgot what happened on 9/11......I didn't, but so many did. But Isil is a different vicious breed. Hopefully this will be the wake up call so many people need. Because this isn't something that's going to go away anytime soon..........it will def be long term. These are full blown psychopaths/sociopaths....make no mistake about that.

Babaramram wrote:Another hindrance to having an intelligent discussion is there is much disinformation out there that is repeated as fact.

Well, you can thank social media for that B....lol........My son told me the other day he gets his news off Facebook...... :shock: .... :o....:lol:

And oh yeah...speaking of disinformation.....let's not forget FOX news........ :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry, j/k if you're a fan of FOX..... ;)

Mocha
Site Admin

by Babaramram » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:33 am

Mocha, I have a client, a couple, two married women (to each other) who I drove home from the airport Saturday evening. They are lifelong liberals, reasonable women, who were vacationing in Cabo. We often discuss politics on our journey to and from SFO.

There was a small tropical storm that effected TV reception in Cabo and all they were able to get was Fox News. They both mentioned, having never watched previously, how much more fair and balanced it was than they had envisioned. Not that they were fans but they were surprised that both sides of the argument got a fair hearing.

I don't get anything but breaking news and sports and weather from TV.

With respect to you Mocha, I do not believe climate change is the most pressing environmental issue of our time. I do not believe in AGW (Anthropogenic Global Warming). If any warming is going on, (still unproved), it seems more reasonable it is part of a natural cycle and/or sun radiation variables.

It seems to me the "climate change/global warming" issue is a man-made fraud meant to accomplish a number of non environmental objectives, including enhancing the wealth of a few (Gore, Soros, Musk, Steyer, Gates, Buffet and countless other Western oligarchs) and increasing One World government at the expense of US sovereignty. Not to mention taking away the freedom to choose from all Americans.

Throughout history all cultures have had "the sky is falling" fear mongering scenarios to rile up the peasants and thus achieve their real aim of gaining wealth and power at the expense of the powerless.

There is something in politics called "The Big Lie". If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it.

AGW is just the latest example and the instant communication of TV and the internet makes the job easier.

Just my humble observation.

Peace.
Babaramram

by Babaramram » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:03 am

Mocha, I posted too quickly, I wanted to add a thank you for your comments on ISIS.

As far back as the early 80s I remember reading that Radical Islam would be the main force of evil in the 21st. century and it has indeed come about with Russia, China and the West all fighting what I would prefer to call Islamic-Fascism, a term that best describes these fanatics. Sunni or Shiite. Iran or ISIS. The Taliban or Al Queida. All of them have a similar radical/literal interpretation of the Koran.

Hopefully this will be the wake up call so many people need.

From your keyboard to God's ears!

But I don't think it is possible until we get a leader who sees ISIS as evil and not as a result of western/Christian historical dominance. Historical relativism as justification for current terror, as our fumbling Secy of State just did commenting on the Charlie Hebdo massacre, is certainly no way to issue a wake up call.

In order for there to be a wake up call from an act of terror overseas, we need a leader willing to issue that wake up call. Unfortunately we lack that.
Babaramram

by clare_hart » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:59 am

With respect to anyone who doesn't believe in climate change . . .

California can attest to huge environmental changes. Other places around the world demonstrate this.

Yes, this bothers me that some politicians use this debate to make themselves more appealing to a subset of voters; just as they attack gun control, planned parenhood, gay marriage etc, etc. Get the voters of a single minded issue together supporting one more than any other, and we have a pretty pedestrian public joining as one. FOX news is not objective. They rewrite current events to fit their own agenda and editorial opinions are anything but truth in reporting.

OK, last political soapbox from me. No disrespect meant either. Just a disussion!
clare_hart

by Pancake » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:06 pm

California can attest to huge environmental changes. Other places around the world demonstrate this.

Here too, while our glorious leaders make tasteless jokes about the Pacific Islands having water lapping at their door.

Most of the denial conversations I hear now acknowledge change but dispute whether or not humans are responsible. Regardless of what you believe, what is the harm in making changes to support our planet, if not making those changes has the potential to wipe us out.

......man, talking about going back in the day. I wonder how they determined which groups of people would be prevented by law from participating in campaigns. I see that you said it was a "ONE TERM government, so I assume that didn't last very long....lol.....What idiots.

I blame the patriarchy ;)

It was an unusual and complex situation. Their biggest problem was (and is) a lack of insight, they did an ok job as a government, middle right, not the fence I sit on but no real complaints except for the arrogance with which they tried to lock the next government in to a roads contract with exorbitant cancellation penalties, and then of course blame the new government for the cost of the cancellation penalties...

Ok. maybe they are idiots.
Totally sane mermaid-siren of Vegemiteland
Pancake

by Mocha » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:01 pm

Babaramram .......no worries.......you do what you need to do. We certainly don't want you to be triggered. We get it. You need to take care of yourself first of all.

I would like for this thread to be an open discussion, for those of us who can deal with it........a discussion where we can "agree to disagree"........with Respect for one another's opinions whether they're ours or not...... :)

Hopefully we can learn from each other......

*Now on a different topic:

I have a 7yr god-daughter......she's very street smart, and doesn't miss a beat. She's been asking a hella lot of questions since the Paris Attacks. Right after the attacks, out of the blue, she said..."What's a terrorist attack"? I thought to myself......ok...here we go.....

And, as I said......this isn't a innocent, naive child.....even if she is only 7yr. Due to circumstances, she's had to grow up very fast. So there's no sugar coating most things with her.

So what about you guys........have you had to deal with anything like this with kids? I know some of our schools here are having to deal with the kid's questions as well.

Mocha
Site Admin

by Mocha » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:35 am

During my post before, I talked about my 7yr god-daughter and how she's already asking questions about terriorism, started after the Paris Attacks......well so I though....:roll:.

Come to find out, she already knew a little about terrorism even before that. TV...probably overhears the adults talking, has a tablet with internet....etc. And hears other kids talking, I'm sure.

And as I mentioned before, she's a tough little street smart kid, NOT your typical 7 yr old. So we've been having talks. Oh god....... :shock;...........Now the whole San Bernardino thing has stirred things up again.

She seems satisfied by my answers so far.....and no I don;t lie but I don't tell her more than necessary. Believe me when she gets ready to know, she'll ask...:lol: Her main concern was would we be safe......

I told her yes because we live in a backwater hick town/armpitt of the world, full of tweakers......No one would want to come here and blow up anything. She thought that was funny and went about her business. Then came back and said maybe they could just come and blow up the tweakers so we could get rid of them....... :lol:
Then she went back to playing on her tablet......... :roll:

So again......do you guys have kids, and is all this affecting them at all? Are they asking you the tough questions?

and are they schools having to address it?

Mocha
Site Admin

by Babaramram » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:48 am

Mocha, when I read your question about how to explain terror attacks by Islamic killers to your God-daughter my first thought was to assure her she was as safe as possible in her remote community by the sea. Which you did and it seems she is aware as she should be of the tweekers in the community as well.

It may also be a good time to tell her, if it seems appropriate, about intuition, that feeling she gets that things are right or wrong for her, the ability to understand something immediately, without the need for a lot of thought about it (conscious reasoning).

Maybe tell her that as she gets older she will be doing new things and going new places and that it is always good to be aware of her surroundings, to let her intuition be her guide as well as adults she trusts. Tell her to have confidence in her own inner voice.

Has she asked why the terror is happening? After her safety, that is the question with the important answer.
Babaramram

by Paco » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:46 pm

Mocha wrote:

I told her yes because we live in a backwater hick town/armpitt of the world, full of tweakers......No one would want to come here and blow up anything. She thought that was funny and went about her business. Then came back and said maybe they could just come and blow up the tweakers so we could get rid of them.......

You pretty much described San Bernardino right there. With the exception of being small. I lived there temporarily until 4 months ago. I think kids should be talked to. Schools here have been on lock down since it happened. There was another threat at the mall by my work. This is real and they need to know.
Paco

by clare_hart » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:06 pm

Paco, really good thoughts. Thanks for posting them!

Like others, I think that the computer gaming, etc., is hard on kids and their view of life. Is real or virtual the truth?
clare_hart

Return to In The News