The Latest Controversies.

by hal » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:38 pm

. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

by dubious66 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:06 pm

"Broadly, that includes fewer genes involved in signaling between neurons and more genes related to neuroinflammatory cells."

The former made sense to me given the theory behind some of the BP meds, but the latter made me kind of queasy!
dubious66

by Tigger » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:10 am

I read this too. Our family's medical presentation fits this so well, including bipolar disorder (son), autism/bipolar (his cousin), schizophrenia (his cousin), celiac disease (his cousin), psoriatic arthritis (his uncle/my brother), sjogrens disease (his aunt/my sister), depression (me).

What's interesting is that in my family if you have an autoimmune dx, you don't have a mental health dx. If you have a mental health dx, you don't have autoimmune. I actually carry the gene for celiac but don't present with it.
_______

Mom to 12 year old boy with bipolar

Meds: 300mg Lamictal; 300mg Lithium; 7.5mg Abilify
Tigger

by hal » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:33 am

Wow. I didn't know there was a link between the immune system and mental illness. Although I have come across an interesting perspective: both the brain and the immune system send signals around the body, and so perhaps their workings ought to be considered in tandem. Also, something I didn't know until recently: even the CELLS send messages to one another.
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

by Tigger » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:37 am

Hal there is some link to inflammation. That's as much as my little brain can explain it.
_______

Mom to 12 year old boy with bipolar

Meds: 300mg Lamictal; 300mg Lithium; 7.5mg Abilify
Tigger

by AvantGarde » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:40 pm

Everything in the body is connected, there isn't really a division between mind/body as it was thought by past philosophers, although that idea stuck in society and it's hard as hell to take it from it :)

As neuroscience, medicine and genetical engineering advances, so does the understanding of the mix between epigenetics and psychology. It's all very interesting.

A good book to read about evolutionary psychiatry is Angst - Overview of Depression and Anxiety.. I don't remember the author's name. It doesn't talk much about BP, although it does mention mania, psychosis and depression separatly. I highly recommend it to all interested in the subject.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by Mocha » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:24 pm

mind, body and some folks say spirit...(doesn't have to be anything religious)........everything is connected.

At least in my opinion, along with my pdoc, tdoc, along with every other MH professional I've used.
Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob
Mocha
Site Admin

Return to In The News