Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Medicine Nobel Prize Goes to Circadian Rhythm Researchers

The Latest Controversies.

by AvantGarde » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:04 pm

Medicine Nobel Prize Goes to Circadian Rhythm Researchers

Circadian rhythm explains why, when there is a temporary mismatch between our external environment and our internal biological clocks—like when we travel across several time zones—humans experience “jet lag.” It also can help explain why humans sleep better in darkness. Like most other organisms, we have an internal clock that adapts to day and night—a cycle called circadian, from the Latin words circa meaning “around” and dies meaning “day.”
Starting in the 1980s the award-winning researchers specifically identified the underlying mechanisms that control fruit flies’ internal 24-hour cycles. They found which genes help influence these oscillations in the bugs, and explained the feedback loop that regulates the involved genes and myriad bodily rhythms.
The existence of an inner “clock” in living species was first described in the 18th century, when astronomer Jean Jacques d’Ortous de Mairan found that even if mimosa plants were exposed to constant darkness, their leaves still followed a regular 24-hour rhythm. Other researchers found that such daily oscillations occurred in other animals and humans. This year’s Nobel winners identified the internal machinery in the body that underlies these physiological processes.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by Spm24 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:02 am

I saw this on the tv in the waiting room of my tdoc....

Nice to know..
Snowflakes gently floating from the sky just dusting the ground. Then it picks up bigger fatter flakes cascading from space at a faster rate. From a dusting to a trace. Then the deluge comes. Oh what joy. Watching everything slow to a crawl, then a stop. Step outside and even with things moving it is quiet. It is a giant muffler the earth is wearing. Causing everything to be muted.To be calm.
Spm24

Return to In The News