Bipolar Support Forums To Share and Support One Another

Barcelona

The Latest Controversies.

by hal » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:25 pm

Barcelona is one of my favorite cities, if not the most favorite, and so I am tremendously saddened by the terrorist disaster that took place there today.

Two years ago my wife and I spent four days there, walking everywhere (except for the on/off bus), enjoying the buildings, especially those by Gaudi, the Picasso museum, the Sagrada Familia basilica, the underground museum with the Roman foundations on display, St. Mary of the Sea church, gutted by the anarchists during the Spanish Civil War, a monastery full of wonderful art, and Las Ramblas, the wide pedestrian way the truck crashed down killing and wounding so many innocent people.

Que Déu tingui pietat de les nostres ànimes.
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

by Jemane » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:52 pm

I was there last year and am also horrified by these attacks. So tragic for all involved. What a beautiful city.
How could anyone possibly do such a thing? It makes me so upset.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Jemane

by AvantGarde » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:55 pm

Damn, I love that city too. Didn't know about the terrorist attack, just woke up. Very sad and angry.
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by hal » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:27 pm

Now Catalonia is in a dispute with Spain over independence. It's understandable, since Spain has mistreated them over the centuries, but (as I understand it), Catalonian independence overall would harm both Catalonia and Spain and damage Europe (EU) as well.

Spain-Catalonia standoff set to intensify as leaders take hard lines

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-spain-politics-catalonia/spain-catalonia-standoff-set-to-intensify-as-leaders-take-hard-lines-idUKKBN1CN36R
-- Tennyson
hal

by AvantGarde » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:31 pm

It won't harm the EU that much, the media likes to sensationalize. And Spain is behaving like a dictatorship, it's enfuriating.

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by hal » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:39 am

So now, after the Catalonian attempt to declare independence via referendum, and despite its backing away from that, the Spanish government voted to take control of the region and remove its separatist leadership. This is way, way too harsh a move, and will just stiffen the separatists, which will make things worse and worse.

The history of the relationship between Spain and Catalonia, especially under Franco, is very turbulent, especially (to me) the suppression of the Catalan language. I have a soft spot in my heart for minor languages and creoles. Two others I know a little about are Kashubian, which is close to Polish and German, spoken in the region my wife's ancestors came from, and Belizean Creole.
-- Tennyson
hal

by hal » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:52 am

Oh, now I see that "Catalonia's Parliament declared independence, in a major escalation of Spain's territorial conflict." There's going to be fighting there very soon.
-- Tennyson
hal

by AvantGarde » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:57 am

Looking forward to EU's reaction...

Catalans: https://vozlibre.com/wp-content/uploads ... ia-8sg.jpg

AvantGarde

by hal » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:39 am

That's right, the EU. To be honest, I had forgotten about that party.
-- Tennyson
hal

by AvantGarde » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:49 am

They act on the background, huge influence, and give politically correct (well, sometimes) statements. Then the member states make their statements individually.

AvantGarde

Return to In The News