The Latest Controversies.

by hal » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:10 am

. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

by Duckysmom » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:29 am

Thanks for sharing this, Hal. Great article.
"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."
Bruce Lee
Duckysmom

by delsol » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:41 pm

Damn, I'm gonna miss her books. (I just started reading "Shockaholic" a couple of days ago and love it). I love Star Wars too, but to me, she'll always be a cheeky satirist/memoir writer first and an actress second. Her writing style is so off the wall, and I so admire how she writes stories with such manic randomness yet captures the funniest, most down-to-earth details.
The world becomes what you teach.
--Zoe Weil
delsol

by Mocha » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:36 am

RIP Carrie.......and your mom also.....
Not A Professional of Any Kind ~ Just Your Garden Variety Nutjob

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Mocha
Site Admin

by AvantGarde » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:11 pm

I read it, great article, thanks for sharing hal :)
Genetically evolved chicken at your service

My therapist says I don't have crazy eyes

Never surrender your freedom of being to the veridict of those who are strangers to your inner workings
AvantGarde

by hal » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:27 pm

One thing that struck me was her "bipolar pride." She was very public about it, as was Patty Duke and Jane Pauley and others, such as Kay Redfield Jamison. I think we have a right to pride, much as others who courageously endure and rise above difficulties and challenges. Most of us are not in a position to go public, but we can at least hold our heads high among those who know us as bipolar.
. . . all times I have enjoyed
Greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone.
-- Tennyson
hal

by lisastout » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:15 pm

I'm so sad at her passing. Still so very young. We've lost so many great ones this year. I'm a die hard star wars fan (typing this wearing my new star wars jammies, lol), but she was so much more. Sadly, I don't think as many folks know about her efforts to raise awareness about mental illness. Rest in peace, dear lady!
Lisa
"I can't explain or justify what's in my mind or why I cry"
lisastout

by Molly » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:27 pm

Thank you for the article, Hal.
For some reason, this passing has really been bothering me. I never like the Star Wars series (blasphemy, I know) but I've always been so impressed and proud of all her mental health advocacy and especially the Bipolar aspect. I HATE that mental illness is so hush hush. I can't even speak of it around my immediate family. Im proud to be Bipolar and as strong as I am, especially through the trying times like right now. Carrie was a strong woman that inspired so many! Im so sorry for her family and all that they are going through :-(
Molly

Return to In The News